On-board charger recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Silver

Reaction score
Hello. It's been sometime since someone posted a question regarding on-board chargers here....and since I am in the market for a new on-board charger, I was hoping that a couple of you guys can chime in with your own expert advise.

First off...my needs. I have:
- an older electric start 60hp motor (attached to a Costco size 33 batt)
- 55 lb thrust transom mount TM (attached to a Costco size 27 batt)
- Chirp Lite fishfinder (attached to the size 33 batt)
- The usual assortment of lights (all LED - attached to the size 33 batt)
*in the future, I would like to install some "sounds", but I'm still on the fence wether to install a head unit and speakers, or just get me one of those bluetooth portable speakers and pair with an old iPod touch that i no longer use -- so possible electrical draw here is to power the iPod

Now, on to what I have recently read (does not mean I fully understand :D )
At the moment, there is a 2 bank 8 amp noco genius that I can get for only $99 CAD.
Bass Pro also has the ProMar1 5/5/3 for only $109 CAD. They also have the ProSport Gen 3 (12 Amps, 2 banks) for $130 CAD. Both of these units are made by ProMariner.

Among the 3 on-board chargers listed above, what you recommend? Is there some other on-board charger that I should consider? I am from Canada, and I dont have as much access to Walmart USAs Minn Kota line-up....but if that is the most popular choice, I will need to make the trek south and get it.

I am intrigued by the "Distributed On-Demand" claim of the ProMariner machines. Basically, they're saying that their banks have no AMP limits, and can send 100% of the charing AMPs to the battery that needs it the most. Not sure if anyone on the board can attest to this or not.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Cheers!

I've heard great thing about Noco's and the BPS charger. I have a Minn Kota Precision 2 bank and love it.

Another one too look at is the Dual Pro. We like them because of the customer service that they have. They are made right here in Tennessee and it is what Ranger and Triton use in their boats and have for a long time. Just my opinion but it is your money to spend. We do have some good deals on them if you may be interested.

I only have experience with the bass pro brand and the dual pro's. I would highly recommend the dual pro sportsman charger. Although it is a bit more expensive, the dual pro is a repairable charger and customer service has been very good for me. I purchase refurbished chargers from the dual pro website.

You can see the ones I installed on my last project a few threads down titled "common ground for batteries".

BigTerp said:
I have a Noco Gen2. Works great.

I have two of those. A one bank on the jet and a two bank on the pontoon. Works great. They will not charge a fully discharged battery though. You have to jump start with another charger, then use the Noco gen. Ask me how I know. :roll:

I have been using a 2 bank Minn Kota charger for about 2 1/2 years. I think it's the 210 model not sure. Anyhow, it's plugged in more often then not and I've had zero issues. My 24v trolling motor probably has more hours on it then my 9.9 outboard.

Fadec