On the water, funny thing I did today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcbouy said:
i fogot to change my hitch ball one time. i remembered when the trailer came thru the back window of the minivan. #-o

:shock: Oh man I thought I was the only one - mine was with a 26' enclosed trailer that "someone" (co-worker) thought was a 2" ball. We made it to the destination, and on the way out it was a tight turn - we went right, the trailer went straight. What a mess...

The trailer happened to be loaded with over 60K worth of medical equipment. The truck didn't look so hot either.

Jim said:
or drive half way down the lake with your trolling motor still down! :LOL2:

we left ours down night fishing in our cc. were planing out and start getting blasted by a jet of water. killed it and set there a moment trying to figure out wth was happening.

How about get to the ramp, launch the boat, park the truck, and then realize you left the legally required fire extenguisher at home. Do you take a chance on not having your boat searched? No you load the boat back up and drive to the local hardware store and buy another one. I also used to be bad about forgetting to un hook my emergency strap. Back the boat in and it goes sliding and then BOOM. At least I know the strap works.

bcbouy said:
i also forgot to strap down my 15' glass runabout once. i went over some rr tracks about 30 mph. you can guess what happened next :oops:(this was the same one that went thru the window)

I hope you still don't have that boat, sounds like it may be cursed. :lol:

bcbouy said:
i also forgot to strap down my 15' glass runabout once. i went over some rr tracks about 30 mph. you can guess what happened next :oops:(this was the same one that went thru the window)

I'm never going fishing with you. :LOL2:

Worst things I've done are forgetting to put in the drain plug and forgetting the life preservers at home. Hopefully it'll stay that way, *Knock on wood!*

And here's a video just to make some of us feel better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAHYR5DnZE

start driving away from a spot only to realize a bunch of walleye on a stringer are still in the water dragging behind the boat.... happens all the time

fool4fish1226 said:
bcbouy said:

I hope you still don't have that boat, sounds like it may be cursed. :lol:
the boat is gone now. i originally got it free from a neighbor.i completely stripped it and rebuilt and painted it.it was'nt me,it was definately cursed.

no problems since. im on my second boat since that one.i did lose a wheel bearing a few years back.we were going thru the purcell mountain range,and i knew it was going,but didn't tell the wife,untill the wheel fell off :LOL2:

Man I love the Bill Dance bloopers. Reminds me of fishing with Dad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWZR10l9Vk&feature=related

This one's got a bunch of the same things I've been guilty of -

1) Not paying attention to the dead stick.
2) Wrong knot on the anchor.
3) Forgot to tighten the mustard lid.

Typical me, new to me boat and engine, get out to the lake, launch without a problem, get in and start the engine and start moving out, get to the middle of the lake and the motor cuts. Could not be empty already could it? Open the cap, check, no, got plenty, prime the bulb, hard as a rock, pull the choke, start it up, runs some more by now I am on the far side of the lake and cuts again, WTF? Finally learned I had to open the vent on the tank in order to get fuel to the engine :shock:

Also have not forgotten the fishing gear yet but did forget the drain plug, I got about 5 now!

ChrisP said:
Typical me, new to me boat and engine, get out to the lake, launch without a problem, get in and start the engine and start moving out, get to the middle of the lake and the motor cuts. Could not be empty already could it? Open the cap, check, no, got plenty, prime the bulb, hard as a rock, pull the choke, start it up, runs some more by now I am on the far side of the lake and cuts again, WTF? Finally learned I had to open the vent on the tank in order to get fuel to the engine :shock:

Also have not forgotten the fishing gear yet but did forget the drain plug, I got about 5 now!
I put my drain plug on a 1/32" thick steel cable. It is looped over a bolt that mounts center gusset to transom. I couldnt lose it even if i tried!

Drove 135 miles to camp ground, set up the tent, ate a sandwhich, checked the equipment for the evening hatch and bingo! left my trolling motors in my garage, went down to the office to see if they had one I could borrow, no dice, packed everything up and headed home. Didnt get on the water but I got close.