Opening Weekend Score!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, how did I miss this one?

Congrats. =D>

Our bow season starts next Saturday. I'm letting the air out of the first non-antlered deer that gives me a shot. I have nothing but 2 sticks of summer sausage left from last year. It's still too hot yet for me to really get in the mood. I don't care much for 90 degree deer hunting.

I normally take the tenderloin and back loins from mine for steaks and have the rest of it ground with some beef fat for burger. I've had everything from sugar cured hams to breakfast sausage made from them. For a long time, I processed my own 100% by just steaking everything out. It's worth it to me to pay the fee to have the burger made now that I am married because the wife uses it in everything calling for ground beef until we run out. I would always have a little bit left at the beginning of the next season when I steaked an entire deer but we don't really have that problem now. We haven't bought any ground beef at the store in 2 years now but we will have to start until I can get one on the ground. :lol:

Jim talked about getting the prime cuts back. You have to watch the processors or many times you won't even get your own deer back. It happens a lot around here with the burger and sausage. They just collect those cuts and grind it all at the same time and then redistribute the poundage back to the people that requested it. That is why I much prefer to take one to the processor any time but our gun season. They get hundreds all at once during gun season and the odds of you getting just your meat back are pretty slim. The odds of getting your own are pretty much 100% if you drop one off at a random time during bow season or during the late m/l season.

The 1 buck rule is the best thing that KY ever did to increase the average age/size of the bucks harvested here.

I still haven't been. :x

The weather is nice all week long and then it jumps up to 85* on the weekends. Too hot for me to risk shooting a deer and having the thing spoil before I can get it home and get it in a cooler.

I hate this weather. I'm ready to go deer hunting.

Quackrstackr said:

The weather is nice all week long and then it jumps up to 85* on the weekends. Too hot for me to risk shooting a deer and having the thing spoil before I can get it home and get it in a cooler.

why not bring a coller with you

daltonmcgill said:
Quackrstackr said:

Our black powder starts this Saturday and i haven't got to worry about it spoiling,because my stand is 100 yards from my house.But it has been in the 50s&60s in the mornings here. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

daltonmcgill said:

It's almost a mile ride in by atv to our property plus I can't fit a cooler big enough to hold a deer and my atv in the bed of the truck.

I started processing my own with my 3rd deer. I realized alot of people aren't 2 worried about how they take care of there game right after the kill and you don't know what your getting back from the processors. I am really picky about how my game is handled and that it is taken care of asap. Plus I know that it's going to not be gamey tasting.

i've always processed my own, well just because i dont wanna pay someobody to have all the fun!
i do love some summer sausage though :mrgreen: