outboard bogs when putting it in gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day all,

I have a new very used 1980 mercury 50 hp outboard that bogs down when I put it in gear. If I rev it up some before I put it in gear it will get past the bog point and runs fine other wise it stalls. I put in a new trigger, stator, power pack, rectifier, coils & spark plugs on it a couple of weeks ago due to no spark on 3 & 4. Figured it was better to change it all while I was doing it. The stator had both wires cut going to the rectifier so that had to be replaced either way. I don't know a lot about the boat as of now. I am thinking it may be the carbs but wouldn't it run bad at all speeds?

Justin

No, you have adjustable low speed jets and usually fixed high speed jets. Sounds to me that it is stalling right at the transition zone. I would suggest getting an OEM kit(s) and going through the carbs and cleaning them well.

If you don't have one already, get a shop manual. There are specific adjustments to sync the carbs & timing.

Thank you both for the replies. I will start rebuilding the carbs and buy a manual to get it running properly.