OUTBOARD MOTOR PRICES?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Dimas

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have an outboard motor that I want to sell and I don't know what it's worth. Are there references or sources that I could go to that would give me an idea of it's value? Thanks.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325268#p325268 said:
San Dimas » Today, 10:12[/url]"]Hello everyone.
I have an outboard motor that I want to sell and I don't know what it's worth. Are there references or sources that I could go to that would give me an idea of it's value? Thanks.
Old thread, great question.
Since you WANT to sell, let me ramble. Take it for what its worth.

Valuing a motor from an internet forum is very rough. SO try this...

A really great used motor could probably be expected to do 75% of new, + or - .
If it needs work but is sound, I'd say 50%, give or take.
If it is a gasping dog that doesn't run, well, plan on 25% or less.

I like the idea of asking people what they'll give. Asking random people what a thing is worth is, well, random. It only satisfies when they tell you what you want to hear.
But nothing is worth except what others will pay for it.
And a price in Florida may be different than one in Montana. Finally, since every frog praises his own pond, it is possible that YOU may have a biased view of its condition.
This all leads to unrealistic expectations.

So put the thing on Craigslist using a price you can live with from one of the above ranges.... it might sell at that price, so go there.

Next, add "OBO" to the listing. This says you are willing to negotiate in case you valued it badly for your market (it is always best to be negotiable).

Get people looking at it and putting their hands on it. If it runs, have it set up when they get there. Let them start it and smell the fumes and goose the throttle. Don't say much during all this.
They may like it, you may have the price right and it sells. If not, they'll start talking money. If that happens, just say, "Whats it worth to you?" or "What were you planning to spend?" or "Did you have a budget?" etc. Whatever. Again, the idea is to let them talk.

This puts you in control to say "Yay" or "Nay" ... instead of laboring under random notions.
You'll soon find out what YOUR motor will actually SELL for this way.
If you don't like what you learn from all this, well, refuse and thank them for their interest.*
If you like the offers, you're golden!

* Be ready to hear the answer, though.

Thanks for the great info.
The motor is a 1989 Evinrude 15 hp electric start that runs great and has just been serviced with a new impeller.

A new motor can be reckoned at $100/hp, as rule of thumb.
A really great used one could probably be expected to do 75% of that, + or - .
If it needs work but is sound, I'd say 50%, give or take.
If it is a gasping dog that doesn't run, well, plan on 25% or less.

Would you tell me where I can find one of those new motors at that price. A new 10 HP around here is running close to $2500-3000. 30-40 year old Johnnies are running from $800-1200. Even the old slant top evinrudes from the 60's are running close to $500. Priced a new Mercury 15 Hp and out the door in was over $3500. A buddy just paid $4000 for a 20 hp Yamaha new, 14 1/2 foot boat and trailer were used and it topped out at $10,000. Where I live there is no such thing as a deal. Take it or leave is the motto around here.

Where I live there is no such thing as a deal. Take it or leave is the motto around here.
Thank you - my point exactly. I knew I'd flush someone out with that. I apologize for the little ploy.
To ask what a thing is worth among a random group is to get random and widely varying answers.

As to your point - review the changes I made.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325428#p325428 said:
San Dimas » Today, 10:11[/url]"]Thanks for the great info.
The motor is a 1989 Evinrude 15 hp electric start that runs great and has just been serviced with a new impeller.

Please see my edit. The rest should get you down the road.

Sounds like a nice motor. Im sure it will sell.

If I could find a new motor for a $100 per hp I would be there in a minute. :LOL2: :LOL2: Up here whre I live we have nothing but small lakes usually 5-7 miles long and usally less than a mile and a half wide so all the lakes have hp restrictions of 20 hp or less. There are 2 lakes within 50 miles that are unrestricted but gt so much heavy traffic it's hard to fish or hunt on them.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325542#p325542 said:
spg » Today, 08:56[/url]"]If I could find a new motor for a $100 per hp I would be there in a minute. :LOL2: :LOL2: Up here whre I live we have nothing but small lakes usually 5-7 miles long and usally less than a mile and a half wide so all the lakes have hp restrictions of 20 hp or less. There are 2 lakes within 50 miles that are unrestricted but gt so much heavy traffic it's hard to fish or hunt on them.
Thanks for that info. I apologize again for the $100 quote. I know that's what I was told, but it may need
a revisit with the guy who said it. He had forgotten more about motors than I'll
Ever know. He may have been talking about his BUY price on used motors.
I'll look into it further.
If there is one thing I've learned here on TB about motors, it its that prices vary widely.
I appreciate your input greatly.

Latest posts