Owners with rear decks, are your gas tanks removable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summers

Reaction score
I am doing some design of a new rear deck for my 14" and each time i have a great plan on paper and start to do the mock up it forces me to have a 6 gallon gas tank that is not removable. I am just not 100% sure I want to have a permanent tank location. I wanted to see from other owners that have rear decks if your gas tank(s) are removable or did you frame them in location. I know that if the tank is covered by the deck I need to have two vents one forward facing and one rear facing and a tank vapor vent. If a few other owners could share what you did with your tank(s) that would be great. If I frame it in I will build a lid/hatch to access the tank so I can check the fuel gauge and to be able to fill it up.

I've always had my 6 gallon and smaller tanks removable. I don't particularly like removable tanks, but generally, whenever I'm rigging an engine small enough for a 6 gallon tank to be adequate, I want it to be removable for electric motor lakes (both to follow the no fuel tanks present rule, and to allow space for additional batteries).

On the vent, I would do more than the for and aft vents. Actually, I don't use them much, instead venting the tank outside directly. The vent screw in the caps of most portable tanks are 1/4" NPT, so a plastic 1/4" NPT - 1/4" barb, and some hose is all that is needed. A quick disconnect somewhere along the line allows for the tank to be removed from the boat for filling, and for the cap to be removed.

All the lakes around me are gas powered approved lakes, most of them are big lakes with 50mph as the posted lakes speed. I bought the boat and it came with a 25hp mercreuy already on the boat.

My gas tank is removable. Check out my build and I think I have a pic of the hatch that covers it. I left the back 2 inches open in the boat all the way across the back.

My 3 gal gas tank is removable. Hatch door has an cut out opening of 15"x5" for ventilation, and so that door will clear the tiller shifter and handle. I don't have a forward facing vent though. I may not be in compliance :shock:

You can check out my build. On page 2 near the end is a couple pics of my fuel tank. It is removable. Doesnt look like it but it is.

I build my 6 gallon tank in. It would take a fair amount of work to get it out, so I made sure to secure it, and put in on top of some sheet metal to avoid any issues. So long as the tank itself holds up, I shouldn't have a problem. [-o<

Latest posts