Paint Prep

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my Tracker 1648 flipped and on some sawhorses over the weekend. Now I'm ready to do some prep work and then paint. Just had a few questions regarding the prep. My factory paint is in decent shape so I plan to paint over it, except for the dinged/scratched up parts which I'll sand down to bare aluminum and prime with self-etching primer first.

- What grit sandpaper should I be using to rough up the existing paint? I see some guys use as rough a 150 where others use something like 220. What would be best?

- What should I be using to wipe down the hull with after sanding and primering and before applying my paint? I used acetone to clean a bunch of areas before I applied my self-etching primer after I replaced solid rivets, filled old seat holes etc. Worked well, but I noticed it did strip some of the factory paint (towel turned greenish). Is this going to be a problem if I wipe down my entire hull with acetone prior to painting?

- Last September I replaced my transom. Where I had to replace bolts and solid rivets I sanded the areas around the bolts and rivets down to bare aluminum. I then wiped with acetone and applied some self etching primer. It has stayed like this ever since. Should I treat the old primer like old paint and rough it up with some sand paper before painting?

Here is the area I'm talking about. This was before I applied the self-etching primer.
IMAG0610.jpg

You can sort of see the same area in this picture. This was just a few weeks ago. You can also see where I have some self-etching primer on the rear bench seat. Should I treat these areas the same as old paint and rough up withs ome sandpaper prior to painting?
IMAG0747_zps8000adb2.jpg

Not trying to get a showroom finish, but I would like to make it look as nice as possible, and be durable, with what I'm working with.

I just prepped my Alumacraft to apply Durabak to the inside. I started out with just water. I avoided any car wash soap to prevent any waxy build up. I then used 100 grit sand paper and used a mouse sander. After sanding I rinsed with water and dried. Then I used a no rinse TSP cleaner and applied with a rag. After TSP, I primed any bare aluminum. The manufacturer recommended applying xylene right before applying Durabak but if you are just painting I would think TSP (which didn't eat at exsisting paint) would be fine before self etching primer.

Thanks for the response. I was out last night so I went ahead and picked up some acetone. I've been doing some reading on here, and many guys have used acetone. So I'm hoping it will work out fine. I won't be soaking my boat with it, but just applying to a towel and wiping everything down to remove and grease/dirt before I apply my paint.

Latest posts