Paint question, Transom Question, Deck Question, Etc?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_fisherman

Reaction score
I've got an old Sears V-hull that I'm fixing up for duck hunting. So far I've wire wheeled the sides and interior and painted a camo job.

1) What's the best thing to put on the bottom of the boat? Bedliner, just leave the old paint, or wire brush it back down to bare aluminum?
You can't really see the bottom from the sides so I don't care what it looks like. But if it's better for the hull and rivets to have it painted or have cheap spray liner applied I can do that too.

2) The old transom was rotted. I took two 3/4 in pieces of plywood, nailed and glued them together to make a 1 1/2 in transom. Do you think this will work or will it crack? It seems pretty solid.

3) My next big step is building some sort of a deck in the bow of the boat. Is putting a wood framed deck in the boat going to add a lot of weight or should I try to use aluminum angle for all the supports? And when you use wood or aluminum for the frame do you screw it to the boat from the outside of the hull? Or are just pop rivets strong enough (for the aluminum) to hold a good amount of weight?

4) Right now it has a 9.9 hp Evinrude thats not in running condition. Should I fix up the 9.9 (new tiller handle gear, carb rebuild, plugs, impeller, etc.) or should I try to buy a larger motor like a 15hp? Would going down to a smaller, say 8 hp motor be too little power?

Thanks for the tips, any other tips would be appreciated too.

camo_boat.jpg

1 - Liner or paint will both work. Neither being better than the other.

2. A 1-1/2 in. transom is plenty strong. Most important is how it is sealed. I use fiberglass resin (2 coats) and be sure to plug any holes you drill with sealant. I use 3M 5100 (great stuff).

3. Deck strength will depend on the frame you put under it. Wood or alum can both be used.

4. If all you're doing is running from the shore to retrieve ducks, or set decoys, a 9.9 or 8 will work just fine. But if you're using the boat to bust flocks in open water (to get them flying) a 15 would definitely be better.

MHO

I have heard of negative effects coming from liner on the outside of the boat. The general argument against it seems to be that it will increase drag - you want the bottom of the boat as smooth as possible.

Your transom will be fine at the width you've used...as stated just make sure it is well sealed...not everybody uses fiberglass, though that is an option. Many of us use several coats of spar urethane and use 5200 to seal the holes when inserting the bolts.

Framing can be either wood or aluminum - aluminum being the lighter but more expensive option. If you use wood 2x2's are good for framing and 1/2 inch ply is plenty for a floor providing you have done well with the framing.

Rivets or bolts...doesn't matter.

Also in case you hadn't found these tips yet...

Don't use pressure treated wood.

Exterior grade ply is good - no need to spend extra on marine grade.

Use stainless hardware.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips.

When Installing the frame for the decking, should I use self tapping screws that go from the outside of the hull into the wood on the inside? Or what is the best way to attach the wood decking to the boat so that it doesn't bounce around?

If I choose to buy aluminum angle and poprivet it to the inside of the hull is there a certain size pop rivet I need to use in order to hold more weight? Or will the smaller rivets work?

An interior pic before the inside of the boat was painted. Couple of questions:

1) It's an old Sears Semi-V hull. Any idea whats inside those benches? When I bang them it sounds hallow. Does it have foam or anything in them?

2) If I were to put a deck in should I cover from the front bench to the bow or from the middle bench to the bow? I don't want it to get too heavy. The only need for a deck is the occasional bow fishing or to put a hatch in it for storage.
boat_inside.jpg

I know this is an older post, but I thought I'd chime in. Another thing to consider about coating the outside of the boat with bedliner is that if you ever have to drag that thing across a riffle or shallow section, it will catch on the rocks. A buddy of mine had covered in Herculiner and hated it. But if you're never taking it in shallow water, it shouldn't matter.

Latest posts