Paint Stripper ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave you a like on your post. Did notice You bolted side brackets on transom vice rivet. I plan on the same set up. Since outboards do not float plan on a piece of wood on the outside covering the wrap around aluminum piece. Pretty much will have a similar set up.

Looks like you painted the bunks blue same as the inside. I think that looks pretty cool. Will you cover them or leave as is?

The gudes and rollers -- curious about welding vs mounting with Ubolts. Not saying you shouldn't, just curious.
Well, i'll be 60yrs young this month and always wanted to weld. I got a really good deal on a brand new Lincoln 180i , so I've been welding everything I could. I did get the U-Bolts w/the guide kit but weren't long enough to reach the bottom of the scrap piece of "C"-channel I got for the bumper from Parkers Fab. for free. So , I saved a lil' money there if not on the paint, hubs, leaf springs, motor restoration, and misc. materials.
As far as the painted bunkers, I never liked how the carpet ends up after years in the water and Sun. And when the owner of "Gator Glide" paints mentioned he painted his w/ Gator Glide and how slippery they are as the boat slides up , I thought about it. Then, unfortunately , I didn't like the blue I bought for the boat sides (it's kind of bright) so I had plenty to cover all 3 sides of the 9/4 Cedar boards I had from a lumber mill job I preformed 2yrs ago on a fell tree. He told me to leave the bottom unpainted so the water would drain out. I guess that Gator Glide is like epoxy and really seals everything. The boat really glides on the runners (bunks ?) I can push it w/my pinky finger. I have catches on the rear end to keep the boat from sliding off when floating it on after boating all day. I'll be adding forged eyebolts to the transom for ratchet straps to connect to the trailer for transport. The inside of the boat is actually different and has grit in it to help w/ slipping. I'm disabled and that paint is called "Tuff Coat".

Did you see the Anular eclipse today ? I had lots of neighbors over looking though my telescope at the 90% view we got down here in Louisiana.

I gave you a like on your post. Did notice You bolted side brackets on transom vice rivet. I plan on the same set up. Since outboards do not float plan on a piece of wood on the outside covering the wrap around aluminum piece. Pretty much will have a similar set up.
The side bracket on the transom was originally attached w/ 3 bolts & nuts (steel) on the transom leg and 4 alum. solid rivets on the side leg. I had to cut the bolts off w/ a grinder they were so rusted (like every bolt I replace) and replaced w/SS bolts & nylon insert lock nuts. But , I did replace the 4 solid alum. rivets w/ new solid alum. rivets. I bought a new tool (pneumatic impact driver) just for that purpose.
I'm learning a ton on this project, welding, solid rivets, epoxy paint systems, sealing for water. It's really been fun really. I'm about ready to add the stickers and hang my restored Evinrude on the back and taker her out. I should be in the water for my Halloween B-day !! :) lol :)

One thing I have to do now that the trailer is finished is take her up to the sheriff's office to get her aproved , titled & reg. b'c she's never been titled.
However, that won't be the end of the project b'c I'd like to frame the bottom out w/ alum. angle & add a flat floor, swivel pedestool chair or 2, more light under the inside gunnel, and accessories and such like rod holders, cup holders in the bench seats, and maybe a compartment or 2 in the front and middle bench seat for storage, tackle, etc. Then a control panel hanging off the middle backside of the bench w/ cut-off switch , batt power gauge & switches for lights , bidge pump etc.
I don't envision a bass boat but just some upgrades that will help me move around competently and look organized !! What do you think ?? I think the hardest part of that future job will be any alum. welding I may want to do. But, like the naked Louisiana girl walking in the woods told , in her best sexy voice , the Texas Aggie boys hunting at the border when they asked what are you doing walking in the woods naked ? .... She answered , " I'm game " !! batting her eyes .... so they shot her !!
I may regret that it won't come out perfect but, I'm Game !!

Last edited:
Well, i'll be 60yrs young this month and always wanted to weld. I got a really good deal on a brand new Lincoln 180i , so I've been welding everything I could. I did get the U-Bolts w/the guide kit but weren't long enough to reach the bottom of the scrap piece of "C"-channel I got for the bumper from Parkers Fab. for free. So , I saved a lil' money there if not on the paint, hubs, leaf springs, motor restoration, and misc. materials.
As far as the painted bunkers, I never liked how the carpet ends up after years in the water and Sun. And when the owner of "Gator Glide" paints mentioned he painted his w/ Gator Glide and how slippery they are as the boat slides up , I thought about it. Then, unfortunately , I didn't like the blue I bought for the boat sides (it's kind of bright) so I had plenty to cover all 3 sides of the 9/4 Cedar boards I had from a lumber mill job I preformed 2yrs ago on a fell tree. He told me to leave the bottom unpainted so the water would drain out. I guess that Gator Glide is like epoxy and really seals everything. The boat really glides on the runners (bunks ?) I can push it w/my pinky finger. I have catches on the rear end to keep the boat from sliding off when floating it on after boating all day. I'll be adding forged eyebolts to the transom for ratchet straps to connect to the trailer for transport. The inside of the boat is actually different and has grit in it to help w/ slipping. I'm disabled and that paint is called "Tuff Coat".

Did you see the Anular eclipse today ? I had lots of neighbors over looking though my telescope at the 90% view we got down here in Louisiana.

I completely forgot about the eclipse until I read your thread. I think we were in the 70% zone.

Gator Glide sounds like pretty good stuff. Sounds incredibly durable and slippery which is great, especially if you are driving the boat onto the trailer. I wondered what those blocks were for. Now I understand. Even with carpeted bunks I leave the bow hook attached until the boat is over the water.

You scored on that wenge and cedar. Western red cedar lumber is available around here but not near as abundant as redwood (and it costs about twice as much). Boat is looking good.

The side bracket on the transom was originally attached w/ 3 bolts & nuts (steel) on the transom leg and 4 alum. solid rivets on the side leg. I had to cut the bolts off w/ a grinder they were so rusted (like every bolt I replace) and replaced w/SS bolts & nylon insert lock nuts. But , I did replace the 4 solid alum. rivets w/ new solid alum. rivets. I bought a new tool (pneumatic impact driver) just for that purpose.
I'm learning a ton on this project, welding, solid rivets, epoxy paint systems, sealing for water. It's really been fun really. I'm about ready to add the stickers and hang my restored Evinrude on the back and taker her out. I should be in the water for my Halloween B-day !! :) lol :)

One thing I have to do now that the trailer is finished is take her up to the sheriff's office to get her aproved , titled & reg. b'c she's never been titled.
However, that won't be the end of the project b'c I'd like to frame the bottom out w/ alum. angle & add a flat floor, swivel pedestool chair or 2, more light under the inside gunnel, and accessories and such like rod holders, cup holders in the bench seats, and maybe a compartment or 2 in the front and middle bench seat for storage, tackle, etc. Then a control panel hanging off the middle backside of the bench w/ cut-off switch , batt power gauge & switches for lights , bidge pump etc.
I don't envision a bass boat but just some upgrades that will help me move around competently and look organized !! What do you think ?? I think the hardest part of that future job will be any alum. welding I may want to do. But, like the naked Louisiana girl walking in the woods told , in her best sexy voice , the Texas Aggie boys hunting at the border when they asked what are you doing walking in the woods naked ? .... She answered , " I'm game " !! batting her eyes .... so they shot her !!
I may regret that it won't come out perfect but, I'm Game !!
Sounds good.

I completely forgot about the eclipse until I read your thread. I think we were in the 70% zone.

Gator Glide sounds like pretty good stuff. Sounds incredibly durable and slippery which is great, especially if you are driving the boat onto the trailer. I wondered what those blocks were for. Now I understand. Even with carpeted bunks I leave the bow hook attached until the boat is over the water.

You scored on that wenge and cedar. Western red cedar lumber is available around here but not near as abundant as redwood (and it costs about twice as much). Boat is looking good.
I drove up to Paduka Indiana, just across the Ohio river from Kentucky to see the Total Eclipse of 2017. I spent 3 days at a truck stop. Called and spoke to the manager before I left to ask permission and she said under one condition, ... , that I share the photo's I got from the experience !! I had about 30 ppl take photo's though my telescope and my brother came up w/ 3 of my nephews from Pensecola, Fl. It was a great day and looking forward to the 2024 (april) Total Eclipse which I'll document from about 40mi ENE of Dallas.
The stop blocks may be useful more at landing the boat on the trailer to leave. I don't know, but it was a suggestion I thought didn't take much effort.
That Wenge came from a vender I dealt w/ when I ran the Mill Works for the Trump Tower in Las Vegas. They were geauxing out of business and I had seen it in the back corner. I asked if they were selling any of the inventory. He smiled and asked what I wanted, (we had become good friends playing golf over the yr and a half) and I told him the Wenge in the back. He said I could have all of it for a few hundred dollars cash. I'd have given him a few thousand. That's prolly the best deal I ever made in my life besides my pact w/ God !! :) lol :) But I think even Jesus would have appreciated that deal !!
The Cedar was the biggest I'd ever seen in person. It was cut up in a trunk piece and a couple 10' pieces along w/all the limbs. A friend had cut it for a job but didn't have the means to move it. He didn't want it so I helped move it w/my angle iron trailer. Milled the bigger straight pieces and used what I could out of the trunk root for smaller projects. (wood turning, bird houses, etc.) Cedar is a soft wood but it's good in weather and highly water resistant !!
Cleaned and painter the new welds & installed the new rims and tires today. Originally it was homemade so I have to geaux by the Sheriff's office tomorro to get it inspected and titled. I have to add the battery , nav. lights and stickers but soon, really soon I'll be on the water. 17 mph w/ my 9.5 evinrude .... I can't wait. :) lol :)
Thanks for the kind words & sorry bout' the book,
God bless & good luck w/yours,
Sincerely ...............

Attachments

• Medley.jpg
    Medley.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
That image of the eclipse is awesome.
Thanks for the kind words LDUBS. That was back when I was practicing photo processing and took the best of shots , put in order to show the general unfolding of it. I'm not really tech. inclined and it took many hours of effort to complete.
But , it really solved the ability to share my experience pretty good.
Thanks again,
Sincerely ...................

Went to the Sheriffs office to create title doc. for the trailer yesterday. The girl behind the counter told me I had to geaux to the State Police in Alexandria (hour & a half drive). But there was a State Trooper in the back who heard the exchange and called me back. Seems he's the guy that stamps new VIN #'s on home made trailers and offered to do it right there. His dad happens to live about a 1/2 mi from me on the same country road. He actually knows my property and complemented me on the work I've done over the years. It's nice to know a State Trooper. What a God send. Saved me 1 hr 1/2 drive and all that gas.
Well, here are some 1st chapter finish photos. I'll be boating now and will fish a few times before I geaux for the 2nd chap. ( flat floor, pedistool seat, interior lights, stow compartment, batt. & control panel ).
I'll try to get photo's or video on the water when I geaux.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 2
Went to the Sheriffs office to create title doc. for the trailer yesterday. The girl behind the counter told me I had to geaux to the State Police in Alexandria (hour & a half drive). But there was a State Trooper in the back who heard the exchange and called me back. Seems he's the guy that stamps new VIN #'s on home made trailers and offered to do it right there. His dad happens to live about a 1/2 mi from me on the same country road. He actually knows my property and complemented me on the work I've done over the years. It's nice to know a State Trooper. What a God send. Saved me 1 hr 1/2 drive and all that gas.
Well, here are some 1st chapter finish photos. I'll be boating now and will fish a few times before I geaux for the 2nd chap. ( flat floor, pedistool seat, interior lights, stow compartment, batt. & control panel ).
I'll try to get photo's or video on the water when I geaux.
Great job.............gonna be a fish catcher no doubt! Are you gonna put some fenders over your tires..........believe I wood to keep the run off down on wet/muddy roads.........

Great job.............gonna be a fish catcher no doubt! Are you gonna put some fenders over your tires..........believe I wood to keep the run off down on wet/muddy roads.........
I've thought on that long and hard. At least from the start. But , it didn't come w/ them and decided to forgeaux them for now , just to get her in the water. I thought about it again when getting her titled at the Sheriffs office but , I'll wait and see how much trouble it becomes in regular use and travel. One thing I've found is that the boat sits low enough on the trailer I can reach clear past center line while standing on the ground. So, I don't need them to step up to grab things :)
In the end, I do think fenders would make her look more complete. We'll see ?
Thanks for the comment, ... , something to keep thinking about for sure & for certain.
God bless,
Sincerely ................

I've thought on that long and hard. At least from the start. But , it didn't come w/ them and decided to forgeaux them for now , just to get her in the water. I thought about it again when getting her titled at the Sheriffs office but , I'll wait and see how much trouble it becomes in regular use and travel. One thing I've found is that the boat sits low enough on the trailer I can reach clear past center line while standing on the ground. So, I don't need them to step up to grab things :)
In the end, I do think fenders would make her look more complete. We'll see ?
Thanks for the comment, ... , something to keep thinking about for sure & for certain.
God bless,
Sincerely ................
Yes sir...................at any rate fenders or no fenders you are going to have a great little boat.............

God's Blessing to you in return my friend..........

John 3 :16

Wayne

This sounds awesome, I’ll have to remember about drainage if I use Gator Glide. 2 questions: did you teach yourself to weld? What are your catches on the rear to prevent floating off?

This sounds awesome, I’ll have to remember about drainage if I use Gator Glide. 2 questions: did you teach yourself to weld? What are your catches on the rear to prevent floating off?
Really , they're just added blocks , glued & screwed to the 2 center bunks to keep the boat from rolling or sliding back during docking. I guess it helps when you stand up and walk to the front to tie off to the wench. It was a suggestion offered but I don't really know how necessary they will be yet.
Thanks for the comment & questions,
Sincerely .................