Paint supplies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZAvenger

Reaction score
New to the forum...bought a 12 ft v-bottom to use on camping trips in AZ with my 4 year old.

Boat is currently stock and I am looking to start modding it...but I would like to get it tuned up first...would like to paint it and may use either Steelflex or Gluv it depending on findings of leaking etc.

So here is the plan for painting...scrape and sand down to aluminum and paint...

I know i need Self-etching primer and then paint...so the question I have not been able to find in the forums is...what brands are people using...I do not have an O'reily's so that is off the table...

Under coating, is a marine anti-fouling style paint needed or a simple epoxy good enough.

enough rambling hope to hear from someone...

I will post Pictures when I get over to the father-in-laws to take them as that is the current storage spot...

John in AZ

:WELCOME: I'm not familiar (having never used) any of the brandds you mentioned, but others have & can offer you some advice. owever, if your current paint is in good shape, you don't need to strip it only topay for primer to replace it. Just scuff it good, featheredge any nicks or scrapes (and primer those).....and let the new paint fly.

Post some pics of your boat if you can.

ST

You will only need to use anti-foul if you plan on keeping your boat in the water and that water has marine growth. generally, it is for Salt Water applications although i am guess that boats in the Great Lakes use it

I highly doubt that you will store a 14 Jon in the water - so no anti-foul needed (and you are lucky is runs around 200.00 to 300.00 a gallon)

If you paint is not that bad, sand, primer and put the new over the top - no need to remove all the old paint - just any loose spots.

Welcome to TinBoats

All good advice in the above posts
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Welcome Aboard! 8)

Thanks for the advice...

Paint is currently decent so I will get a few rattle cans of white self-etch for the areas that need it...

So am I heading in the right direction with enamel...basically pretend I am painting a car at that point???

Thanks guys...should be able to get pictures up within the week as I figure I will relocate the boat to my back yard to work on it...no fear of rain...it is the desert...

The only boats I've personally ainted with enamel, I shot with a spraygun, and added hardner to the paint. I'm sure someone will come along with an answer to the rattle-can question, I know many here have used it on their boats.

ST

Look forward to pics

I used Interlux Brightside polyurethane to paint my jon. I only scuffed the original olive drab, then used zinc chromate for the primer. I used 1 quart of paint to put 2 coats on the outside, and I still have some left. I used an airgun that I had laying around the house. Check out my link in the Boat Modification forum (Alumacraft 1236 Makeover). I think I did a detailed process... if not, then I can update it. If you do use a sprayer, you can use regular auto spray thinner.

just read and understood your post... atleast the question you were asking.

Just make sure you use Acrylic Enamel. You'll be fine.

So finally started working on the boat this weekend...used duplicolor self-etching paint that i got at Autozone and will use the pre-mixed car paint that should do the job for not...

thanks for all the help...so far so good...

You will notice no trailer...I plan to put on top of the pop-up camper for weekend trips or on the top of the Jeep Grnd Cherokee that you can see in the photo...Weight will be a consideration in all upgrades...

John

Attachments

• Original Boat 2.jpg
    Original Boat 2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 583
  • Original Boat.jpg
    Original Boat.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 583
  • Primed.jpg
    Primed.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 583
  • Primed 2.jpg