Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondchief

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post. I recently purchased a 12' v hull and have started my conversion. I tore out all the factory bench seats and have framed a deck 3.5 '' up from the bottom from the transom 6' out. From there it steps up 5 1/2 '' to a higher casting deck the rest of the way. Most conversions I see take the decks up to the top of the factory seats or higher, I didn't want to do this because of stability. I am pretty much a fly fishing only guy these days and when casting 6 inch flies to Pike, Musky and Bass there tends to be a little more movement going on than with spinning gear so I kept the decks low for that reason. I have seen people with homemade outriggers on there boats and was wondering if anyone has experience in this. If 6'' PVC pipe outriggers were to make my boat stable enough to square dance on I would be willing to invest the time and money to make them. If they only offer a small amount of added stability then I would just as soon be careful when fishing. My next question is about paint. I cleaned and primed the bottom of the inside of the boat before building the deck with grey primer. Main reason was the dark green paint that was on already there made it impossible to see my pencil marks. I really like the look of grey Primer and was wondering if there's any type of satin spray can clear coat I could put over that on the outside of the boat? Once my wife gets over to see the boat I'll get her to post some pictures. I'm really not tech savy and don't own a camera or camera phone, just a whole bunch of power tools.

:WELCOME: to da Swamp !!

why do you want to clear coat the primer ?
why not get some paint mixed to that color.
then, you will have double protection.
most clear coats are not UV tolerant, unless it is like Spar varnish.
and even later, that will peel and flake off.

paint it !!

Johnny said:
:WELCOME: to da Swamp !!

why do you want to clear coat the primer ?
why not get some paint mixed to that color.
then, you will have double protection.
most clear coats are not UV tolerant, unless it is like Spar varnish.
and even later, that will peel and flake off.

paint it !!
Well that's why I was asking. If I just spray caned the whole thing with primer could I use just regular exterior paint mixed to the gray primer? Or do I have to use some other type of paint?

got the plywood cut ad the underside stained. Put a few screws in them. Gonna stain the top side tom and screw it off.

Attachments

• CAM00082.jpg
    CAM00082.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 980
Here's how I attached the lower decking frame. made some L brackets out of the old seats I tore out. Used 7/16's self tappers through the ribs and a deck screw into the wood.

Attachments

• CAM00076.jpg
    CAM00076.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 972
Johnny said:
in MY world, I go to Lowe's and get VALSPAR exterior latex
paint mixed to the color I want. Dead Flat for the interior
and I usually use Rust-Oleum Topside enamel for the exterior.
But, any brand of exterior paint works well for a few years.
sounds good to me, thanks for the help.

Are going to seal the plywood with anything?
Are you going to put foam under the floor?
What type of wood is the under deck framing?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Are going to seal the plywood with anything?
Are you going to put foam under the floor?
What type of wood is the under deck framing?
I already sealed the bottom side and edges of the plywood with 2 coats of deck stain. Gonna do the top while its down.

Foam is light yet it does weigh something. Trying to keep it as light as possible. Foam only helps if your capsized and I don't plan on that ever.

Mostly 2x4's ripped in half then stained before I attached to the boat.

Deck stain is not a great sealer.
You may not plan on sinking but it can happen. Maybe you can use empty water bottles.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Deck stain is not a great sealer.
You may not plan on sinking but it can happen. Maybe you can use empty water bottles.
What would you suggest for sealing the plywood?

I am planning on making outriggers out of 6 inch pvc that protrude about 18 inches from each side of the boat. I want to be able to fight a 40 inch pike on the long rod easily in this thing.

You can use a mixture of 1 part boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar urethane or varnish and 2 parts mineral spirts. It's called old timers formula.

I like your boat - it's very similar to mine. Nice work on the framing and decking. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Hopefully I can get mine started as well!

- Mike

if you swamp your boat or it springs a leak or you hit something in the water and rip your hull open, the flotation will keep it above the water and give you something to hold onto until help arrives.

No one ever plans on sinking their boat!!

I was caught on Lake Erie in a tornado many years ago. I did not plan on that and almost lost my life. Luckily I was able to get my boat to shore and the storm wrecked the boat but I survived.

dont mess around with boat safety!!!!

For that size of a boat, you can easily fill it up with some foam board, which can be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot for a reasonable price. Foam hardly weighs anything and adds very little to the weight of your boat and is very easy to cut to shape. I would add it for safety reasons like others have stressed. I don't plan on ever getting into a wreck in my truck, but I still put my seat belt on.

Latest posts