Painting my boat…

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.L. Hall

Reaction score
I was emailing a friend of mine about the restoration I am going to do this winter and one of the subjects was color….

I have a 17” mod V with console steering. When I do start on this boat, I am gong to redeck the whole thing and move the console to the center and forward just a bit, probably make it a standing steerer…

Anyway, the boat will be striped to the haul. My plan was black for the sides and bottom and charcoal and gray two tone interior. He thinks I should strip the sides and polish the aluminum… I think that would be a lot of work to do and a lot more work to maintain… he is really hot on this idea, but I just ain’t so sure. I mean it would look cool to have the boat a shinny as chrome, but I just don’t see it lasting.

Any opinions? Anyone done this?

Agree! Too much time to do it then maintain it. Plus if it has a few dents and knicks, they will stick out like a sore thumb.

Paint it, be done with it, spend the rest of the time on it! :D

It won't last but a day or two. I polished the back of my boat to a mirror finish one time and unless you seal it real good with some sort of laquer or varnish or something it will just get dull again. I just leave mine dull grey. Leaves more time for fishing.