Painting Tempress Hatches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone every painted a tempress hatch? I'm planning on installing 3 different ones in my boat and I'd like to paint to meet the rest of my boat. Like to use the same paint I use for my boat, but it's aluminum vs plastic so not sure if that will work. If anyone has painted what did you use? Prep? The reason I want it to match is because I'm camouflaging my tin. If I wasn't using this for duck/goose hunting I just get 3 of the same color and call it done. Thanks!!

You shouldn't have any trouble painting those hatches. I have a Tempress hatch on my boat, and although it isn't painted, I am familiar with the look and feel of the product. I would test paint one hatch first. If you are satisfied with the results, then paint the other two in similar fashion. If you are not satisfied, then you only have one hatch to strip, not three. Make sure to clean the hatches thoroughly to remove any dust, dirt, grease, oil or fingerprints. Warm, soapy water should do the trick. Once completely dry, I would spray on the camo in light coats. When I do camo, I like to lay down a "base" of one color, and then add details with the other colors. If the paint you used on the boat isn't spray able, I would just pick up a couple of cans of H.S. Camo paint from your local Walmart or outdoor supplier. It is easy to apply, but you'll most likely have to touch up the hatches every few months if they see a lot of foot traffic. Good luck!

Thanks man. I'm planning on using Rustoleum professional enamel for the boat itself, as long as I can get it tinted to the color I want. How do you think that paint would work on the hatches?

For the camo I'm doing a base coat of a light tan/sand color. Then using a camo stencil I'll be adding some black or grey and dark brown pattern to finish it out. Just trying to get everything to match half decent.

This is the stencil I'm using.

https://www.camostencil.com/Ambush-GroundCover.html

Going for something similar to the cooler you see done on that page.

I looked into painting plastic hatches a while back, but went a different route (no hatches).
I've never done it, but there seems to be a process you have to follow to get the paint to stick, which included either flaming the plastic to get the surface "release agents" off that they use in the molding process, or scuffing, cleaning with rubbing alcohol, and then adhesion promoter.

Like I said, I've never done it, but it didn't look that complicated. Here's a YouTube Video on painting plastic.

Getting the paint to adhere to the Tempress hatches won't be a challenge. They have a textured finish on their outer surface that'll help the paint get some "bite". You'll want to make sure and use a good primer, and a good flat finish. Shiny camo jobs look cheesy.

Thanks for the replies.

Flat paint is a must for a camo job!!

I'd go with the olive or even light grey hatches, but I'm planning on installing 3 of these in my boat. Ebay is by far the cheapest place I've found to buy them and getting the hatch sizes I want all in the same color would be a challenge. Painting seems like the best way to go.

I used to work in body shops for about 20 years and the surface texture has nothing to do with how well the paint sticks. The main thing is to get all the release agent off of the plastic surface before painting. Check with an autobody supply shop or auto parts store, they will have a plastic cleaner and also a adhesion promoter. The adhesion promoter will soften and open up the plastic pores to allow the paint to stick. I have spent a lot of time repairing plastic parts not prepped correctly. It is always better to do it right the first time. Good luck with your hatches.

johnnybassboat said:
I used to work in body shops for about 20 years and the surface texture has nothing to do with how well the paint sticks. The main thing is to get all the release agent off of the plastic surface before painting. Check with an autobody supply shop or auto parts store, they will have a plastic cleaner and also a adhesion promoter. The adhesion promoter will soften and open up the plastic pores to allow the paint to stick. I have spent a lot of time repairing plastic parts not prepped correctly. It is always better to do it right the first time. Good luck with your hatches.

Makes good sense :D

johnnybassboat said:

Thanks!!

I have some of this that I was going to use to paint my F-150 emblems, but never ended up doing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-CP199-Adhesion-Promoter-Primer/dp/B0007UAXJQ

I'm assumming this would work good on the plastic hatches?

Not sure what kind of plastic cleaner I would need. Any suggestions??

A wax and grease remover for paint should work fine. Almost every paint manufacturer makes one. Just follow the directions on the product you pick. That adhesion promoter you posted should be fine also. First use the wax and grease remover then use the adhesion promoter.

johnnybassboat said:
A wax and grease remover for paint should work fine. Almost every paint manufacturer makes one. Just follow the directions on the product you pick. That adhesion promoter you posted should be fine also. First use the wax and grease remover then use the adhesion promoter.

Thanks!!