Perko switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybereyes

Reaction score
I have a Perko switch, and just trying to make sure I'm understanding the instructions right, because they aren't very specific. My plan is to run all the electronics except the Trolling motor and the main motor on one battery. One battery for the trolling motor, and one just for starting the main engine and to run an inverter off of. I have this perko switch that I wanted to use to allow me to use both batteries for the trolling motor if I found the need. The way I understand it now, one battery hooks up the the No1 on the perko switch, the main battery you want to use, and the other battery hooks up to the No2 on the perko, both from the positive terminals. The part I'm confused about is it then says to hook up the starter switch of the motor to the common terminal on the perko switch. So what then do I do with the negative side of the wires from the trolling motor? Hook it up to one of the negative terminals on the battery?

Yup, that tells me the ground wire from the motor goes to the negative terminal on the battery like I was thinking. I knew everything but that. It was probably pretty obvious to some, but I just like to make sure :)

It is confusing to look at...you se that com. on the switch and think it might go there.

My next question. My trolling motor suggested using a 50 am circuit breaker which I bought, from the looks of it I would have to have two of them in using this switch, and even then I'm not sure that it would work because the setup is completely different. The trolling motors guide to installing this using two batteries are to have the positive trolling motor lead going through the circuit breaker and the circuit breaker going to the positive of one battery, the negative of the trolling motor going to the other battery, and a common wire connecting both batteries going from negative of one battery going to the positive of another battery. Not the negative to negative setup the perko switch has.

Any suggestions on how to use this circuit breaker, or is it a big deal to use it at all.

Should be no problem. Using Zum's diagram for reference, I placed my circuit breaker between the switch and the motor on the common wire.

Bye golly, thats a **** good idea. I'm having one of those smack my forehead moments wondering why I didn't think of that. I blame fatigue lol. I'm so ready to be done with this project.

Latest posts