picked up a jet jon project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semojetman

Reaction score
20131124_115759_zps6f5ba268.jpg

20131124_115806_zps45f593c0.jpg

Its a 1436 GM boat with a 640 cc suzuki motor.

I will just say it was cheap.

Not sure if it will end up a donor rig for another project my buddy has or if it will be a fix up and sell or become just a toy.

He never GPSd it but he thinks it would get close to 40.

I absolutely love the way these pumps bolt in.
Does anyone know how large of a motor you could put in front of this pump before your outrunning it.

I'm not sure what size that pump is, but I'm running a 155mm pump with a 160 HP Yamaha FXHO engine. I don't think you can over-power one of these pumps, their only limit is the RPM, above 8000 RPM, the pump will begin to cavitate excessively.

Yamaha used 144 and 155mm pumps with most of their bolt-in units.

If you engine is a Suzuki 640, it's most likely a 1995 Tigershark Montego. This model was one of the few that did use a bolt-in aluminum duct. And since that pump doesn't look like a Yamaha pump, I'm going to say this is likely what pump it is.

In that case, here's a link just to show the parts:

https://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_tigershark_parts.htm

I wouldn't try to order anything from here, though, because, since they are unused parts which are near obsolete, they are VERY expensive. That intake duct, for instance, is over 900 dollars!! :shock:

Compare that to the price for a brand new duct of a yamaha xl1200 at about 200 dollars, and you can see why the yamaha is the more economical pump choice for any jet john build, or if you decide to replace that existing pump at some point.

You're better off to look around on the net to find any replacement part you may need for the TS pump. A wear ring and prop, for instance. Maybe the thru-hull bering, if the existing one is leaking. Or possibly the stator if the vanes are eat up from sand or corrosion. Most everything else in a pump doesn't wear out.

Hope this helps.

BTW, yours is a 142mm pump, according to this:

https://sites.google.com/a/i7.kkthtd.com/buyprice591/cheap-1995-1997-tigershark-montego-deluxe-pwc-impeller-super-camber-i-j-k-series

Yes, it is the 640. Came out of a Tigershark Montego.
I think we're gonna use the tigershark pump behind a sea doo xp 657 motor in a an all welded 14 footer.

I am trying to learn as much as possible because in time I want to build somwhere around a 16 or 17 footer with a 4 stroke and a yamaha pump.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335335#p335335 said:
semojetman » 41 minutes ago[/url]"]Yes, it is the 640. Came out of a Tigershark Montego.
I think we're gonna use the tigershark pump behind a sea doo xp 657 motor in a an all welded 14 footer.

I am trying to learn as much as possible because in time I want to build somwhere around a 16 or 17 footer with a 4 stroke and a yamaha pump.

In that case, my jetboat would be a good prototype to work from, because that's exactly what I have, the XL1200 pump with a FXHO 4 stroke.

Well, the jetjon may get to stay intact.
We found a different donor for the other boat.
135 hp 1100R TS motor and pump.

The ski runs 65 mph, so we're interested to see what it will do in a 1440 alumaweld.

thats sweet semojet, mine has 4 positions....its a instant shallow water take off , you can also adjust the cable to aim the nozzle sky high and throw some nice roost.
cool project

I wish my XL1200 had a trim system, but it only has reverse. I could modify it by using a GP1200 nozzle and the reverse system of the SUV1200 pump, then it would have reverse AND trim. May end up doing that, I'm sure being able to trim the nozzle up would gain me a few MPH on top end.

Yeah. Im gonna find out today.
Maiden voyage.
It is nice that it has trim but it doesnt have reverse.

We picked up a tigershark 1100R ski yesterday for the powerplant in the welded 14 footer

Does anyone know on my tigershark 640, what would happen if I put dual carbs on it.
The daytona was the 640 but it was dual carb 70 hp.
Mine came out of a montego and they were single carb 62 hp.

Latest posts