picked up a jet jon project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I haven't seen him on here in a while. Here's the thread to his build, maybe you can click his profile and send him a PM

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27891

The one that has been on there forever is alot like it.
This one he had just decided to sell.

im working out a few small bugs, building a motor cover, and a few cosmetic upgrades and then ill either keep it for an extra toy or sell it in the spring.

If you line your engine cowling with egg crate type foam, you will be amazed at how much it reduces the noise. Check out McMaster-Carr, they have some fire resistant acoustic foam that reduces noise by up to 80%

I see a lot of videos of jet johns with no cowling, with the operator wearing earmuffs. Just doesn't make sense. First off, the danger of doing a fast turn, etc, and having the engine be swamped. Not to mention the engine's constant exposure to UV and the elements, which will take its toll over time. Not only that, but why have a boat that's so loud, you have to scream at the person riding with you to be heard? Build a cowling! #-o

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335744#p335744 said:
semojetman » 02 Dec 2013, 21:49[/url]"]Does anyone know on my tigershark 640, what would happen if I put dual carbs on it.
The daytona was the 640 but it was dual carb 70 hp.
Mine came out of a montego and they were single carb 62 hp.

i dont know anything about tigersharks, mines a kawi 650, but i dont recommend dual carbs. a mikuni 44mm or 45mm sbn carb will be plenty. you can go to pwctoday forum and get more info on tigersharks.
as for insulating engine covers and exhaust pipes/waterbox, it makes day and night difference in noise, well worth it.

There is a 2001 gp1200r for sale near me
Says had water intrusion ? Now just clicks when you try to start
Does this model have the right kind of pump and other stuff to make a project?
He is asking $800 how would it get water in it? Thanks

Water could have intruded one of 2 ways. Either the boat was swamped, or someone ran it on the water hose, and turned the water on before starting the engine, and it backed up through the exhaust. Just clicking when you hit the starter sounds like a case of 'hydro-lock', in other words, a cylinder is full of water. Hopefully not salt water, and hopefully it hasn't been like this for too long, or the engine is FUBAR. To clear it, you have to pull the plugs, turn the engine upside down and hit the starter to blow the water out. If you can get it started, next thing to check would be compression, which should be around 150 PSI on each cylinder (for an undamaged engine)

As for the pump, I think the GP1200 was one of the models that used the bolt-in aluminum duct, much like mine. You should be able to tell by looking under the ski and seeing if the intake duct is fiberglass or aluminum.

Click sounds like water in the electrical box or the starter got wet. A thunk sound would be a better description of a locked crank which could be pump, hull seal or engine related.

I get the click out of the starter on occasion after the hull has sat for a week or two. Might have to rapid fire the start button a dozen times but it'll eventually go thunk after which I'll hold the button and pull the choke until it fires off.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336041#p336041 said:
Ranchero50 » Today, 14:48[/url]"]Click sounds like water in the electrical box or the starter got wet. A thunk sound would be a better description of a locked crank which could be pump, hull seal or engine related.

I get the click out of the starter on occasion after the hull has sat for a week or two. Might have to rapid fire the start button a dozen times but it'll eventually go thunk after which I'll hold the button and pull the choke until it fires off.

I am sure he means it is locked up!
He also has a couple complete pumps with aluminum intakes
He will sell for $150 Wonder how much it can cost to rebuild that 1200

Yeah, there's a big difference between a 'click' and a 'clunk' A clunk means hydro-lock, or a seized piston.

A simple clicking, and no starter engaging would be indicative of an issue with the starter solenoid, or even a loose connection. To determine if the solenoid is faulty, try using a jumper across the 2 terminals and see if this engages the starter.

that sucks man, you guys in missouri got it pretty bad from this winter storm and its not even winter yet. i remember in '08 or '09 winter here in tn. was pretty bad, i decided to take my jet out in middle of january to catch some fish...well my pee hose from the engine was not putting out any water(i got it mounted mid section of boat so i can see water peeing out the motor) after i ran it about half mile, the motor was steaming hot. luckily the high temp for that day was above freezing and thawed out around noonish.
i swear nothing works right when its freezing cold, either it breaks when you touch it or its frozen!!

Tigfisher, I had that exact same thing happen with my Tigershark 1000, back around 2007 or 2008. Went out early one morning, the low was about 20 degrees (yep, here in coastal SC, it does get that cold) I didn't realize my lines were frozen from the boat sitting on the trailer in the yard, and I ended up running hot.

One thing you can do to make sure this doesn't happen is to make a blowout tool. Get a brass ball valve, a male air hose QC fitting, and a male garden hose fitting, and the fittings to connect the 2 ends to the ball valve.

To use it, thread the male GH end to your flush fitting. Close the ball valve, and connect the QC to an air hose. SLOWLY open the ball valve. The air pressure will purge any remaining water in the lines, and it only takes a few PSI to do it. You don't want to open the valve WAO at 125 PSI to start with. Once you see/hear the water blasting out the jet pump, you can open the ball valve a little more until you only hear air blowing out of the jet unit.

At this point, the water cooling/discharge lines are purged, and will be much less prone to freezing.

BTW, the blowout tool works great for quickly draining the hoses around the yard, to prevent them from freezing, as well.

that is a very good idea psg-1, my motor does have a flush kit on it where i use to ride the ski in the ocean. but i think its a good idea to blow the water out every use to minumize calcium deposits in the water jacket. i remember people reving the hell outta their motors at the boat ramp thinking all the salt water is coming out the motor, but only water coming out is in the pipe and water box. not the engine block. the water jacket on my motor was built up with barnicles when i rebuilt it 10 years ago. i dont flush it no more since i only use it in fresh water....and i forgot all about the flush attachment!!!!

I've been running PWC's in saltwater since 1986, so, I'm quite familiar with the effects of saltwater on these engines. It's not a pretty sight.

Even if you're blowing it out by running it at the ramp, if you're using it in salt water, only an engine flush with a garden hose can flush out salt water deposits. Failing to rinse it out after use in saltwater will lead to sugar/slime (electrolysis) building up in the cooling passages to the point that it can restrict flow and run the engine hot. If nothing else, the machined edges and/or passages of cooling jackets can erode, then you start getting water in the cylinders.

If using in fresh water, you don't need to flush, but it is a good idea to run it and rev it enough to blow the majority of the water from the waterbox and exhaust system. But revving doesn't get the water out of the feed lines that run from the pump and flush fitting to the engine. This is where the blowout tool comes in handy.

Mine self drains... Had the exhaust manifold crack two years ago and rerouted the lines so it'll run out now.

If anybody is interested, I would sell the jetjon.
I dont really want to sell it but ive found another boat and I need the money ive got wrapped up in this one for the next.

It is a 1448 GM aluminum jon
640 c.c. 62 hp Suzuki jet
Has manual trim (will shoot rooster tail)
Has stick steer with throttle on stick. Push button start on stick. Safety kill.

I just bought a new 2013 trailer for it.

I am about to paint the boat.

$1400 obo

20131126_130151_zpsfeb786d0.jpg

Im planning on either grey or olive drab green but if someone is interested I can paint whatever color they would like it.

Latest posts