Placement of graphs in tiller boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt2871

Reaction score
I have just bought 3 Garmin 10 inch graphs to replace my Lowrance units on my jon boat. It is a tiller. The Lowrance unit at the transom now is mounted on the starboard side of the rear bench where I sit while operating the outboard and it is really tough to watch while driving the boat. I fish from the transom about 80% of the time and I want to be able to see the graphs while facing the back of the boat so the 2 units at the transom will need to be mounted on some kind of rotating bracket. I can fabricate just about anything and hate to buy commercial products because I enjoy fabricating things. I am having a problem deciding who I want to mount the graphs though....I have just abouot decided to mount them on the port side of the rear bench where I can make adjustments and mark way points while operating the outboard but the boat is almost 94 inches wide at the top of the gunwales at the transom and it is a LONG reach from one side to the other. Anyone willing to post some pictures of how and where they have their graphs mounted on a tiller boat?

I am also going to mount my livescope transducer on a pole on the starboard side of the boat where I can turn it while operating the outboard. I am working on a remote, self deploying livescope transducer mount that will be bow mounted but I am several months from completing it and I want to get the new units mounted before fall so I can spend the upcoming cooler months finding folks brushpiles LOL. Anyone have any experience with a livescope transducer mounted this way? It seems to be common on kayaks and offshore / bay boats but I haven't seen many if any on any bass / walleye / crappie boats.

Is there a lip on the fore / aft edge of your seat?

If so I'd think you could make a bracket of the appropriate length,
with a "T" slot on the under side, that would wrap around the seat.

Make it with just enough clearance so it'll slide along the seat.
Add a tapped hole for a jam screw, to lock it in place.

Attach whatever graph holders you like to the top (I like the RAM mounts).

You can then pull the entire bracket towards you when running,
and push it out of the way, to the gunwale when fishing.

My boat is much smaller than yours.
I made a bracket to attach my graph to the port gunwale,
between the stern & mid seats.

This is how I mounted mine to the gunwale:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46043

kdgrills said:
Is there a lip on the fore / aft edge of your seat?

If so I'd think you could make a bracket of the appropriate length,
with a "T" slot on the under side, that would wrap around the seat.

Make it with just enough clearance so it'll slide along the seat.
Add a tapped hole for a jam screw, to lock it in place.

Attach whatever graph holders you like to the top (I like the RAM mounts).

You can then pull the entire bracket towards you when running,
and push it out of the way, to the gunwale when fishing.

My boat is much smaller than yours.
I made a bracket to attach my graph to the port gunwale,
between the stern & mid seats.

This is how I mounted mine to the gunwale:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46043

There isn't a lip on the seat but I could do what you are suggesting.....it would work! I had thought about utilizing some drawer slides and spring loaded pins but what you are describing is way simpler and more effective...thanks!

I notice you graph is on the right side of the boat. Can you see it while operating the outboard and make adjustments / mark spots? The Lowrance I have at the back of the boat is mounted kind of like yours and it works but I have to turn to see it and to make adjustments and mark spots takes a monumental effort.

I initially mounted it on the starboard side (as shown in that thread), that didn't work very well for me, I've since moved it to the port side.

IMG_6133.jpgMy seat is offset to the starboard side and my graph is mounted on port side shelf, toward font edge, on RAM C size mount. Underway, it easy to watch or glance at when on plane. I can adjust the RAM mount from my seat. When I verticle jig off the back, I'm not facing the transom though. I jig by feel and turn and watch the graph. I think my beam at transom is around 72", so allot narrower than yours.

With two 10" graphs, it seems like it would be a pain to move back and forth.

I am curious to what you will come up with and fabricate. ;)

PS: long RAM arms tend to shake when on plane and hitting waves.

From what I have seen, they are typically set up with the graphs on the port side, slightly ahead so they are easy to see while running. In this configuration, the transducers are mounted on the far port edge of the transom, so assuming you're right handed, and sitting facing the port side, it's a pretty ergonomic motion to drop straight down basically on top of the transducer.

To accomplish that I think you'd need to make some sort of bracket that hangs on the gunnel. I don't think you would want to go on the bench since that places the graphs too close and awkward to view on plane, you'd want them slightly ahead and angled towards you.

My first thought is to attach both graphs to a solid piece of aluminum rectangle tubing or bar stock, and fasten a large ram ball to it. The rest of the ram mount would be fastened by a gunnel clamp like has already been suggested.

Being able to easily reach them to set waypoints, change views, adjust sensitivity, or change just about anything is important. If you have to lean a little, that's OK, but you don't want to have to slide way over on a bench or have to get up from your seat. Most graphs are designed for rightys, so if lefty, means they are probably closer. Just make sure you have enough flexibility in your design so you can figure out what is best for you and your fishing style/type.

I almost got started on fabricating something for my new Garmins this weekend then life struck and I got nearly nothing but an idea of what I am going to do. When I am operating the outboard I am seated on the starboard side of the rear "bench" (more akin to pods with a box between them) and siting at about a 45 degree angle toward the center of the boat. I am definitely going to mount the graphs on the port side and toward the bow rather than on or near the bench on that side....it would be almost as awkward underway with it them that far back as they would be on the starboard side. I have an idea to have them on a rotating bracket that I can push toward the Gunwale when they are not being used but toward the center of the boat while in use. The units are pretty heavy....they are very big LOL....so whatever they are mounted on will need some heft to it or vibration while underway will be a MAJOR issue. I may wind up building a small console on that side of the boat. I really do not want to do this as the open floor is very nice. Hopefully I will have some pics this time next week!

Thanks for all the input.

This is on a center console and it is probably smaller/lighter unit than yours. I had to tame the shakes by putting a foam golf ball under the pivot. The longer the arm the more the shake gets amplified.

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 115
FuzzyGrub said:
This is on a center console and it is probably smaller/lighter unit than yours. I had to tame the shakes by putting a foam golf ball under the pivot. The longer the arm the more the shake gets amplified.

I am going to build something akin to a console where the units will be supported while underway with the ability to adjust them to a more usable position when I am graphing at 2-3 MPH. The things are very heavy and I am going to have two of them at least and possibly the third on the same mounts. I spend a lot of time graphing areas looking for fish and use side scan, mapping, and down imaging simultaneously. I can of course use multiple screens on one unit but I have a hard enough time deciphering what I am seeing with the full 10 inch screen LOL. I bought these units to include perspective mode live scoping to the mix and I am leaning toward mounting all 3 and a Lowrance 7 inch at the transom for graphing....the 7 inch unit for mapping and the other 3 for live scope, side scanning and down imaging. I originally planned on mounting one of the 10 inch screens on the bow but I seldom fish from the front of the boat.

Not only are they heavy but they eat up batteries LOL. I may wind up having to have a generator if I keep adding electronics LOL.

I didn't like the 1+ amp draw of the 999 from the starter battery and added a LiPO4 battery just for the graph. I see many other's will do that just with a single "live scope" type set-ups. For two graphs plus a live scope, probably going to need it.

I have a mental picture of an IT guy in front of a bunch of monitors with a fishing rod in his hand. :D

Perhaps this will give you another idea....

I built this side console for my Lowrance 9", bilge pump switch, Blue Seas ON/OFF battery switch, and /12V plugs. Fuses, NMEA network, and Yamaha interface cable are housed inside box. Lid is removable. My driver's seat is on starboard side in front of transom. I face about 10 O' Clock position when running and the FF is angled and faced directly at me.
You can modify and add a swivel as needed.

Attachments

• alumacraft console 3.jpeg
    alumacraft console 3.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Alumacraft Console 2.jpeg
    Alumacraft Console 2.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Alumacraft console 1.jpeg
    Alumacraft console 1.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts