Placement of Marine Charger/Maintainer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I have a 15 foot Alweld that has the basic two seat configuration. Behind the rear seat is the battery on one side and the fuel tank on the other. I am debating about where to place the onboard battery charger on this boat. My first instinct is to attach it to the back of the rear seat, or to attach it to the inside part of the transom. I would obviously prefer a seat mount. The problem is that it would place the charger adjacent to the fuel tank. I could probably attach it to the side of the hull on the battery side, but this would of course mean drilling through the hull. Again, not preferable. Any ideas here folks? Would you have any concerns with have a marine charge adjacent to a fuel tank? This is a Minn Kota brand marine charger.

First follow the instructions manual.

Attached is some excerpts from A-31, that may be of intrest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_085042_Samsung Notes~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_085042_Samsung Notes~2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240521_084144_Samsung Notes~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_084144_Samsung Notes~2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
Most onboard chargers these days, are waterproof and fully encapsulated. The spark risk is at the battery connections and plug.

For me, it has been between easy access to the plug and having an easy view of the charge status.

Most onboard chargers these days, are waterproof and fully encapsulated. The spark risk is at the battery connections and plug.

For me, it has been between easy access to the plug and having an easy view of the charge status.
Another reason for good tight connections !!

Another reason for good tight connections !!
Agree. As far as the plug, just need to not plug it into a hot extension cord or just do it outside the boat.

My vote would be on the back of the bench seat. Easy access even if you have a cover on and easy to see charge status.

Latest posts