Please give me ideas on these bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess that is why we call it "fishin" and not "catchin". Ha ha.

I've been skunked many more times than I have caught fish, especially during odd seasons.

Do you have a fish-finder? If so, did you see any fish where you were dunking bait/lures?

I never used a fish-finder much since 98% of my fishing was in saltwater bays that were only two or three feet deep. Recently I fished a small freshwater lake. It has depths to 60 feet or so. A friend taught me how to locate the fish by putt-putting around and watching the FF. It is amazing how many fish are in one area, and none in the other locations.

You've got to be fishing where they are. The lure/bait doesn't matter if the fish aren't even home. Heck, sometimes the lure/bait doesn't matter even if the fish are home.

Probably just telling you things you already know...but???

regards, Rich

p.s. Yesterday I installed a second fish-finder on my boat. $70.00 for an Eagle Cuda, ....simple but it works. This FF is mounted near the bow so I can see what's going on while fishing from the front seat.

thanks rich i do have a fish finder, and in that sense, a very nice one. problem is that i dont have a boat to fit that fishfinder!!! right now i am modding my 14 foot lowe v-hull. i wouldve taken that out but it has a few holes in her that we need to seal up from drilling. i went shore fishin.

I might as well NOT had a FF today. Went fishing and I spent the time in 2 feet of saltwater. I was surrounded by bait fish breaking the surface, but 1 1/2 hours of throwing everything in the box produced NOTHING. Oh well, its fishing, not catching.

Only reason that I stopped so soon was that I was convinced that I had dropped my $$$cellphone$$$ in the parking lot. I didn't want some guy calling China on my nickel.

It turned out, after I reloaded my boat onto the trailer, that the phone was stuck between the seats of the vehicle...and not just lying on the ground.

I'll go some other day soon. Hope you do too. Rich

haha by chance do you know how to throw a castnet? because if you do you could throw those at the baitfish and do that for fun. i actually enjoy pullin baits for fun all day. and if you get lucky you may be able to pull a big gamefish ( if you do imeadeatly throw it back because castnetting gamefish is fairly illegal [-X ). have a good time fishin next trip! the way i look at it is that if you enjoy the expierence but dont catch any fish it is 10 times as fun as catching everything with scales in your body of water but dont enjoy yourself

Yes, I do know how to throw a cast-net and I keep a small one on board at all times. If I hadn't had the "lost phone" excitement, I might still be out there trying to catch SOMETHING, SOMEHOW. Any legal method will do.

I planned on going to a freshwater lake this morning....but...the same big storm that tornadoed Merrill WI last night is due to hit here within the hour. Such storms get to TX, but sometimes are a half day later.

Small craft advisories are out...winds expected 20-25 knots; switching quickly from South to North-West. Not a good day for boating or fishing, according to the Coast Guard.

Rich

ya i enjoy cast netting alot. its fun if your not having a good fishing day. Ya if i were you i wouldnt take your boat out on one of

those days where you could either wing it and take the risk of getting hurt or stay at home. better safe than sorry! i hope weather

gets better for you so you can start havin better fishin!!!

In spite of your excellent and judicious advice...and in lieu of any common sense on my part...I decided to drive through the front and fish after it hit.

Normally a total waste of time. Today, however proved a bit different. Please see my recent post. regards, Rich

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18994

wow rich, that is a very good bass =D> =D> =D> . i definatly can say that i am very jealous of your fish!! too bad your mono line was giving you trouble........ i have used mono my whole life and havent had any problems!!! How was your knee operation? i feel bad for you..........

alum....thanks for the compliment re the bass. The bass did all of the work! Ha! It was a serious good fight and day's outing.

Knee recovery (torn meniscus repair) is going very well. I played 18 holes of golf one week after the operation, and played another 18 yesterday. I still have another week or two of Physical Therapy. That PT girls works this old guy pretty hard for an hour.. three days a week. My thighs haven't hurt this much for a long time.

I, too, used mono for many years. But, as you know, mono stretches and braid doesn't. Slamming a big hook into a heavy fish takes more power. Plus, braid just plain doesn't backlash as often. I'll never go back, except, perhaps for a top water lure. A top water probably would benefit by the slower hook set of mono.

regards, Rich

Wow.. i am very happy your knee is ok =D> !! my sis has had pt for quite a while because she broke her back on her horse a while back. she says its quite a chore. ya i have 17 pound mono on my abu garcia and she can be a little testy and hard to cast with little weight.

Try 30 lb Power Pro ( ten lb diameter). You will not believe how small the line is and yet how strong it is. You can get it at Walmart. Seems expensive, but you can reverse it after a year or two. Lasts forever.

I'll never go back to mono.

If water clarity is a problem, you can always tie some fluorocarbon on for the last few feet. Rich