Plywood Decking Finish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfouty

Reaction score
I'm working on a sea nymph semi v 1448. I'm adding a deck similiar to the "olive drab floater". Working with a tight budget, decided to use the economy 23/32 plywood from Home Depot. Had a couple of quarts of semi-gloss marine spar varnish. Thought this would be cheaper and easy than epoxy finish. My plans were to add the varnish as waterproofing and wrap in carpet. After varnishing, the plywood looks pretty good, thinking about skipping the carpet. Thought it would be easier to wash down, no stains, dry quicker, and wouldn't worry about hooks getting caught in carpet. The finish is far from smooth on the cheap plywood. Does not appear slippery at all. Can anyone think of any downside to not covering my decking with carpet :?: . Thanks

I don't personally think there would be any difference... but that small amount of cushion really helps out after a day of standing while on the water. I have the same wood as you, painted and carpeted... I ended up having to still find me some type of cushion so my back and knees wouldn't be aching at the end of the day. I found some neoprene matts about 3/8" thick, and they take every bit of pressure off my body. That might be something to look into - here's the site... https://www.getrung.com

I don't think you would have to worry about that as much if you put enough coats on it... I think of it like staining/painting your decks to your house... it will take a while for you to beat it down and the UV to kill it unless you do it wrong and not put enough coats.

I might fill in the exposed edges with something like liquid nails just to help keep water out. It is cheap plywood and even if it doesn't last quite as long as the better stuff you can always use the old one as a template and cut you another one later down the road. I say go for it... and of course post a picture.

The only downside I see is a slick floor when wet.

You will need at least 3 coats of an outdoor grade polyurathane to protect that wood if you want to keep it longer than a year or two. As for the edges, more poly, it will seal the edges just as well as the deck surface.

TO extend the life of the boat, cover it when not in use. Carport, garage, boat cover, or even a tarp for $5 will work. Keep the sun off the wood and you will greatly extend the longevity.

Lowes sells a rubber backed outdoor carpet for like $6 a linear foot, 1 foot by 12' long. If you get 8 linear feet it'll cost like $42 bucks, plus adhesive or contact cement. Get the version without loops. I have it in my boat and it doesn't snag hooks.

There's also the noise issue. Nothing quite like the sound of a 1/2 oz. bullet weight hitting the bottom of the boat. The wood will help but like was said, cheap carpet is a good option.

Latest posts