Polar Kraft 14' V-Bottom... here we go

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippingbilly

Reaction score
I'm just beginning the modification process on a boat my grandfather gave me. I've been scouring these forums for months and have finally decided that this is the time. I'm going to start with the front Deck and would like to create a two layered deck... one that is accessable by hatch that will store the batterie(s), etc, and then a top deck. I was going to use aluminum for all bracing but the angles are strange and I'm just not confident I can make it work, so I'm going with wood. The boat sits high and is quite buoyant so I think it can handle the weight. I'm going to start work on the deck and will post pictures at every step... one so that I can get feedback and 2) because I've not found pics on here that show me the "guts" I need for a boat like mine. I'm looking forward to the great coaching I get from this crew!

Attachments

• DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 3,253
  • DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 3,253
  • DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 3,253
Nice boat, looks really deep, looking at the transom. What horse power motor are you running? Looking forward to seeing your build.

Flintcreek

Did some work this weekend on the lower hull deck. I had thought about it for a week, if not more, and I'm still not sure what I think. The intent of this lower deck is to set a couple of batteries on top of it as well using it for storage. I think it will accomplish that for sure and I made it so that it's removable.

My biggest concern is the support 2x2 that I screwed into the front bench. It's not as solid as I would have liked and I was planning on using that structure throughout the boat for the floor decking. I was going to run 2x2s from bench to bench connecting them to supports secured to the side of the benches as well as having 2x2s coming up from the bottom of the boat. I'm using self tapping screws but am open to any ideas or confirmations.

Attachments

• DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 3,116
  • DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 3,116
  • DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 3,116
The rear deck that was on my boat was fastened that way. Lag bolts through 2x4 into the sheet metal of the seat. It held up fine. The bolts took 1/4 turn to loosen the tension then they where loose enough to pull out by hand. They didn't hold "strong" but strong enough to stand on I guess since it was that way long enough for the wood to rot. If I was going to do the same thing as that, or as you are doing I wouldn't use screws I would use toggle bolts. They will hold solid forever.

Spent about 8 hours over the past couple of days (my quarter ended...shew!). Over the thanksgiving holiday I spent more hours than I can say thinking about this and it's coming together. I have the deck pretty much the way I like it and envisioned it and I also have gotten some additional ideas on how I want the bottom to be. :idea:

As always, please provide any feedback or gotchas that you see me falling into. #-o

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 3,001
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    565.3 KB · Views: 3,001
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 3,001
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    551.8 KB · Views: 3,001
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 3,001
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 3,001
I've been able to get some focused time on this and it's starting to come together. Christmas brought some great seats and posts which A) saved me some $$ and B) allowed me to keep pushing. I also took advantage of free shipping from Cabelas and ordered the carpet and some non-skid paint.

I decided that I was going to paint the inside of the boat white and also will use non-skid paint on the middle and back benches. I finished the carpet tonight and am going to start to clean the inside and paint this weekend if I can.

Feels like it's mostly punch out and the heavy construction is done and I sure hope this thing floats. Anyway, thoughts, ideas, criticism, or praise is all welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF0003x.JPG
    DSCF0003x.JPG
    551.2 KB · Views: 2,142
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 2,142
  • DSCF0007x.JPG
    DSCF0007x.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 2,142
  • DSCF0009x.JPG
    DSCF0009x.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,142
  • DSCF0001x.JPG
    DSCF0001x.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,142
It's been pretty cold in Indiana over the past few weeks, however with the help of a propane heater, I've been able to get 95% complete with the mod. There are about a hundred things I would have done differently, however I'm very pleased with it and I can't wait to get it on the water. I still need to put in the lights, battery, and buy a depth finder for it but that should take only a couple of hours to hook up once I get them. My Father-in-law also donated an unused transom trolling motor which I'm going to gladly accept. I have planned all along for a bow mount, but free is always good and it will give me time to work out any kinks I might have with the boat.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 2,113
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 2,113
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    869.8 KB · Views: 2,113
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 2,113
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 2,113
the way to tell the horsepower is to look at the freeze plug there will be a long number the last 4 numbers will be manufacture date and horse power ex.7918 would be a 79 18 horsepower

on the front deck how did you attach it to the boat itself im trying to do this myself and and i am having a hard time figuring it out i have some pics in this forum i just posted but have gotten no resonses yet ,my seats are not all metal like yours but that is exactly what we want to do to ours ,my title is 1974 starcraft and help would be appreciated alot

I attached the front deck by first putting some 1x6 on the bench seat itself in the center so that the seat bases would be solid. (I attached those using toggle bolts). I cut the deck so that it would fit fairly snug against the sides of the boat so that when I carpted it, it would be tight. I ran 1x1s at an angle on each side of the deck and those are also secured using self tapping screws. Basically, the deck is held in place via the bench.

One other thing I did was to put an aluminum L bar under the nose of the decking that runs along the side and is wedged between a rib on the boat and the bottom of the deck. I did this so their would be no flex and it works great. That deck is solid and can hold me (195lbs) comfortably.

hope this helps, good luck.

Latest posts