Project: Coot Commander (updated 4/27)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Well I finally got my old Tri-Hull off my trailer so I could go pick up this gem for $75 from a buddy of mine.

It is going to primarily be a hunting boat. No clue who made it. Thought I was getting a 14 footer, but turns out its a 16. It and the trailer are getting completely re-done. Sorry about the dark pictures. This is in my grandma's garage and there is only one light, and I forgot the shop lights.

350s6c3.jpg

juh6pu.jpg

nowtiq.jpg

2gwyur5.jpg

nmm2jb.jpg

I need another one of these for the right side, If anyone knows where I can get one.
35cljj9.jpg

And my best friend for the winter....Cordless forced Air! (it is plugged in here, but will run 8 hours on a charge)
29d8gfs.jpg

jreaee.jpg

Plans Are:

New benches
Paint
Redo transom
New trailer lights and wiring
New Bunks
Bed liner for the floor and a couple inches up the sides
13hp Mud Motor

I know this hull isn't Ideal for a mud motor, but I don't have mud flats, just soft bottoms with too many weeds for a jet and too shallow to run an outboard.

Very cool

I believe that is a Lonestar based on the emblems at the transom braces.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone seen a transom cap like that, or similar for sale anywhere? Perhaps a boat building supply company? I really like the fact that they bolt on and can be removed to get to the transom wood, but I only have the one side.

Also, this trailer is set up for a fiberglass tri hull. The rear bunks are about 4 feet long or so, but the boat rests on the skinny (1 1/2") side of the 2x4. How would you guys set up the bunks for this semi-v?

Edit: It also appears that the seats offer no structural strength to the hull. There does not appear to have been anything attached to the hull under the benches, and that box in the middle is filled with foam, but is not attached to the floor of the boat.

You've got a good piece there to start on. I've had Starcraft & Smoker Kraft boats with similar logos on the corner caps. The bow cap looks a lot like most Starcrafts. If You look on CL or Ebay, I've seen caps like that occasionally, where guys are stipping boats out. Or You can bend up a pr. if you have access to a fairly heavy duty press brake, and some 3003 or 5052 grade 3/16" alum. plate. I made My own for a boat I'm working on now, so it can be done fairly easily.

Please excuse Me if this post isn't correct as I'm a first timer at this.

Jdholmes said:
What is the hp rating on that boat?
Honestly I have no clue. There are no plates at all on this boat. Not even A hull ID

novaman said:
You've got a good piece there to start on. I've had Starcraft & Smoker Kraft boats with similar logos on the corner caps. The bow cap looks a lot like most Starcrafts. If You look on CL or Ebay, I've seen caps like that occasionally, where guys are stipping boats out. Or You can bend up a pr. if you have access to a fairly heavy duty press brake, and some 3003 or 5052 grade 3/16" alum. plate. I made My own for a boat I'm working on now, so it can be done fairly easily.

Please excuse Me if this post isn't correct as I'm a first timer at this.
I appreciate the info. My neighbor is a welder and is very good with aluminum, so worst case scenario I figure I can have him make me something. I have found a few for sale, but they are pricey. And I was thinking Starcraft also. What sizes and HP ratings were yours?

novaman said:
I've had Starcraft & Smoker Kraft boats with similar logos on the corner caps.

Yah.... I meant to say Starcraft, not Lonestar. :oops:

Looks like you have a propane heater there. Be sure to have some serious ventilation when you are working on your gem of a boat. We don't want to read about you in the paper.

regards, R

The Starcraft was a 14' tiller like the one You have, and it was sooo old there wasn't a plate on it either. I know it handled a 20hp merc quite well, as it was a very deep and sturdy hull. The seats in Yours are exactly like mine were, and the boat seat board was the sideways hull support, with the aluminum panels underneath acting as vertical stabilizers for the boards, as well as retainers for the styrafoam under the seats. The smoker Kraft had a side console and was rated for 40hp, & 4 persons or 1250#, ( it was also a 14').

That garage is about as drafty as it could get and still have 4 walls and a roof, but it is waterproof :cool:
Always have the doors cracked open a bit.

Novaman:
Alright, relieved to see that with new transom wood it will handle my 13 horse longtail without an issue.

Interesting that the wood seats are the supports, Ill make sure they are snug against the sides.

I actually want the benches anyways. No decking equals more room for the decoys and my girlfriends dog, that is at training right now. Thank you very much!

Long overdue Update:

Here is how she sits now. Boat has the base coat for the camo. The trailer is staying flat back with flat green accents and bed lined fenders,New transom wood has been cut, it just needs to be sealed and painted.

m97xic.jpg

More progress!

My Amazing paint job 8)
34s468i.jpg

13ygxs.jpg

Bed liner on the floor
1zcjpya.jpg

Benches in
2gwfl1i.jpg

Now I am waiting on My neighbor to weld up my transom corners So I can put the transom wood and motor on.

I also found bad hub bearings, and water inside the hub. So Now I am doing those bearings and seals.

Latest posts