Prop Shaft Seals

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadinger

Reaction score
I have a 1975 Johnson 15hp model 15R75C. Does anyone know if I can replace the propeller shaft seals without disassembling the gear case?

Yes, you can replace the seals without disassembling the gearcase. Once you drain the oil and remove the the prop and thrust bearing there are two seals back to back on the shaft in the bearing housing. Being very careful not to nick or burr the shaft itself, pry the two seals out of the housing. It may be much easier to remove the bearing housing from the gearcase and then remove the seals by punching them out from the opposite end without the shaft in the way. If you do take the bearing housing out there is an o-ring that needs to be replaced on the inner part of it (part # 308627). Please be careful not to nick the shaft or you will have to remove it also.

KMixson said:
Yes, you can replace the seals without disassembling the gearcase. Once you drain the oil and remove the the prop and thrust bearing there are two seals back to back on the shaft in the bearing housing. Being very careful not to nick or burr the shaft itself, pry the two seals out of the housing. It may be much easier to remove the bearing housing from the gearcase and then remove the seals by punching them out from the opposite end without the shaft in the way. If you do take the bearing housing out there is an o-ring that needs to be replaced on the inner part of it (part # 308627). Please be careful not to nick the shaft or you will have to remove it also.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining (just in time) LOL! :beer:

I got my seals out this weekend. I carefully drilled a small hole in them and and threaded a screw into them and they pulled right out.

Latest posts