Protecting your fishfinder from the elements?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
What do you guys use to keep your fish finder clean and in good condition? I live on a gravel road and my stuff gets filthy. Normally I take the fish finder off, but one day it was pouring out and I just hit the road and when I got home it was covered in limestone grit. I want to leave it on to streamline my prep time, and I welcome any ideas and suggestions on how to protect it. Thanks.

I would just get a heavy duty large zip lock bag a and a large rubber band, put it over it and rubber band it at the base real tight. That ought to do the trick huh?

Dont know what brand you have but my I ordered a soft cover for mine from humminbird.

Now I have hummingbird that just snaps off base. Push button ,pull it off, wrap it in towel and put in in storage compartment.

My main concern was the screen and the sun light. Came across a lot of them that have been some badly damaged by the sun you can only use them at night when they are lit up. So I employed a tube sock. It looks awful, but is functional. I just might swap it out for something bit more fancy, swear I saw a xmas sock floating under the bed last time I lost my shoe..

sixgun86 said:
My main concern was the screen and the sun light. Came across a lot of them that have been some badly damaged by the sun you can only use them at night when they are lit up. So I employed a tube sock. It looks awful, but is functional. I just might swap it out for something bit more fancy, swear I saw a xmas sock floating under the bed last time I lost my shoe..

Try a Crown Royal bag, they look fancy enough : )

I always remove the head unit from the boat. Prevent damage and theft. I also have a screen protector film, and hard cover.

Captain Ahab said:
Take it off!

And how did you FF get gritty and dusty from the gravel road when it was pouring rain?
You must not live on a gravel road... The limestone slime splashes all over everything! It is much worse that when it is wet. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I normally take the head unit off, but I wanted to speed up my time at the ramp so I can spend more time on the water. It will get stored through the down times in a dry box, but in transit to the ramp I am going to try the ziplock bag followed by a cloth cover that my wife made. Thanks again.

I used to just keep them on allway with my basic cheaper units. Now i have a hds7 on a ram mount so i just pop the ball out on it and take it inside. Its so convinient i bought a ram mount for my cheaper unit up front and take it off now.

CodyPomeroy said:
Captain Ahab said:
Take it off!

And how did you FF get gritty and dusty from the gravel road when it was pouring rain?
You must not live on a gravel road...

I do not think that we have many gravel roads here - I will look for some :mrgreen:

Johny25 said:
Try a Crown Royal bag, they look fancy enough : )

That's what I use. I remove it from the boat and store in a Crown Royal bag. My 365I fits perfect in there. I cut a piece of cardboard to protect the screen. If I was gonna leave it on the boat, I would use a plastic bag and rubber band. Then slide the Crown bag over that to block the sun.

If I am going a short distance and not stopping anywhere I use the cover. If I am going a longer distance I put the FF in the truck with the cover on and put the base cover on the mount to protect it from the elements. Both pieces together were about $20. Cheap insurance. :LOL2:

Attachments

• FF Coverb.jpg
    FF Coverb.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 265
  • FF Covera.jpg
    FF Covera.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 597ciHDinstall 002p.jpg
    597ciHDinstall 002p.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 265
I really need to get the base cover. I just keep forgetting to order it. I hate ordering stuff online. Wish they sold them at the same places that sell there electronics. Or maybe they do and I haven't looked hard enough. Seems like it would be an easy sell.