Proud Owner - Need Some Opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Reaction score
I am now a proud owner of a 14Ft Gamefisher, 4 HP Johnson and a trailer. I have been reading and reading and now I want to go to work. The boat is in desperate need of a paint job(looks camo but it is not). Other then that I would like some opinions on how to mod. I have scanned a sketch of what I have in mind...(please do not laugh at my artwork)

I basically do not want to deck this boat for standing. But I do want to add platforms for the bow mount trolling motor and for the rear seat. The rest of the boat I want to plywood and carpet. On the sketch below you will see where I have indicated that I would remove the middle seat. I just want to make sure that no one sees a problem with that...

I really appreciate any opinions that you have.

David

cimg0221.jpg

cimg0222.jpg

cimg0227.jpg

cimg0228.jpg

image0001.jpg

P.S. I am thinking of these seat pedestals the tallest one for the front and the shortest for the back,

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16128____SearchResults

The shortest one is 7" but I am not sure if that is short enough...

The easiest way to add the deck on the front would be to build a frame that sits on top of the front bench with a few good sized bolts holding it in the front and back to keep it in place. If it is holding only the Trolling Motor, it wouldn't need to be terribly strong.

Make sure you reinforce the spot where the middle bench is if you remove it. Sometimes they support the hull.

On the back it would be kind of cool to have the deck go from the transom to the front of the current bench, and hinge it to keep the fuel and batteries under. The frame to the hinged part also wouldn't need to be anything crazy if you don't plan on standing on it. Just somewhere to set the tackle box off the floor when you're digging through it. If you're like me you change bait more than you fish some days. :D

check walmart for seating, they are a bit cheaper than bps. deck design looks good i would go with it. remember to post pics as you progress.

Yes the inside paint is peeling bad. I plan on carpeting the sides that are not covered with decking......

Thank you everyone for the help so far. I will plan on starting on this soon. It may be a week before I am able to get started though... :(

David

In my last post I indicated that I planned on carpeting the sides. I just realized what might be a bit of a problem here. I had planned on carpeting 1/4" plywood and screwing them into the ribs on the sides of the boat. Just realized that my boat does not have ribs on the sides. What would be the best way to adhere the carpet panels to the sides? Liquid nail?

Thanks

DavidN said:
In my last post I indicated that I planned on carpeting the sides. I just realized what might be a bit of a problem here. I had planned on carpeting 1/4" plywood and screwing them into the ribs on the sides of the boat. Just realized that my boat does not have ribs on the sides. What would be the best way to adhere the carpet panels to the sides? Liquid nail?

Thanks

Take a couple 2X4's & cut the backsides to match the curve in the side of the hull. Add 3-4 spacers between them, fasten the 2 spacers on the ends to your seats. I'd go atleast 1/2" plywood instead of 1/4".

Don't forget to run your wiring 1st, if you plan to run any.

ST

ever thought about just framing the sides out about 3 inches? Then you can cut out some places to store plano boxes in the side... you can put little eye hooks at the sides or top and bottom then attach bungy cords to hold them in place so they don't fall out

Latest posts