pwc battery as a starting battery????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbud55

Reaction score
setting up my new g3 1548 vbw,,my 6hp tohatsu is just way to slow so next week having a new tiller 25hp etec installed on her, has power tilt/trim making it 160# motor ,, got yellow top optima for the tm and house power that I keep up front and going to install a battery isolator to add a starting battery,, question would I have any kinda of problems with using a larger size pwc agm battery as the starting battery, I figure if it can start a 4 cyl 100+hp waverunner it should have little problems starting a 25hp outboard,,,, at 1/3 the size and weight on the *** end of boat think it would be worth try,,, always has the rope start,,, reading the manual says it needs a 600 and something cold cranking amps and the pwc battery puts out 325 cca ,,, just want to make sure their would be no electronic issues with the engine

Attachments

• IMG_0709 (816 x 544).jpg
    IMG_0709 (816 x 544).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 486
i run a 2001 johnson 35 hp 3 cylinder, which is built on an etec block, with a lawn tractor battery. It does fine - i also run two hummindbird 797 side finders and a bilge pump off it.

A lawn mower battery from WM will work, and only $30 or so. Lots of people go this route and replace when needed.

It'll work but save money and get a tractor battery. I have no problem running one.

thanks for the reply's folks,,, ended up getting the lawn tractor size battery,weighs in at 23lb ,got a agm battery from the dealer selling me the etec, paid 90$ , smallest battery he would recommend, like agm's myself, running 2 of them in my truck for the last year hoping they last longer then the lead acid battery's that I had to replace every 2 or 3 years

Attachments

• new etec.JPG
    new etec.JPG
    770.1 KB · Views: 371
  • new etec 2.JPG
    new etec 2.JPG
    851.3 KB · Views: 371
  • etec on the water catfishing.jpg
    etec on the water catfishing.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 371
Nice motor man. Had the non-salt water version just like this on order for 10 weeks until I finally got a refund.

I run a high performance ultra light weight AGM motorcycle battery and it works fantastic.

Latest posts