Question about LED's and fuses

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't even have my leds running through fuses.... they don't pull but milliamps, so I didn't worry about it.. not to mention they can be replaced for nothing

Russ010 is right,they don't draw much but you should still put a fuse in line in case a wire rubs through or you have a short.No fuse means the wire & what ever else it touches will fry.

Always, always, always use fuses. They are not intended (in your application) to protect the leds. If you develop a short circuit to ground, that battery will pump all the current it can down that circuit, which is a ton all at once. Instant fire.
Size the fuse amps to just a bit more than the device is expected to draw. Wiring and components should be sized to twice that current.
I was once called to repair a fork truck battery that had a 20ga wire to an indicator light laying across the top.The wire shorted somewhere (no fuse) and glowed red to where it melted through the top of the battery covers. Two or three cells exploded, blowing the tops off, acid everywhere, and ignited the remaining plastic covers on fire.
I am about to install Blue Lights on my boat and will install fuses on each circuit.

so... I'm running about 6 sets of led strips on one line... i am using a T-Tap connector to the main line which is 14ga. the lines coming from the LED strips are probably 18-22ga... my question is where do you put the fuse? Do you put one on each LED strip before it hits the main line, or do you just do the main line before it connects to the battery?

On my boat I have 1 main fuse at the battery ( I think 30 amp reset)Than I would fuse the wire that goes to the LED's.The fuse at the battery protects the battery incase there's a short anywhere in the system.

Place just one fuse at the battery. Any place a short occurs down stream of the fuse, and tries to draw large gobs of current, will pop the fuse and protect everything from damage.

How do you determine what size fuse you need for a trolling motor?

Just realized, after removing my head from my ***, that my switch panel has inline fuses on the back.. :oops:

dyeguy1212 said:
How do you determine what size fuse you need for a trolling motor?

Just realized, after removing my head from my ***, that my switch panel has inline fuses on the back.. :oops:

Mine uses a 50 amp resetable circuit breaker.

Latest posts