Question Briggs & Stratton outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishmadns

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these? I have a chance to buy a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton air cooled outboard for 275.00 the guy says it has only an hour and half on the thing are these good motors? Just wondering if briggs is as good as it was 8) I still mow the lawn with my dads old mower its got to be 45 years old now ????

John H

Those Briggs & Stratton outboards are essentially lawn mower motors as they are air cooled instead of water cooled. I do not have much experience with them, however I did do some research on them a few months ago as I was looking for a smaller affordable outboard. From the research I did, some people loved them, others did not--but it seemed like the most common complaint I read about them wasn't that they overheat, or that they lack power--but rather the sound. They sound like a lawn mower and not an outboard. Where I think they would be beneficial is in swamps or really murky water. Since it does not have an impeller, it doesn't hurt it to run it out of the water, or just skimming the surface.

As far as how it would compare to a typical 4 stroke liquid cooled motor power and longevity wise--I don't know. I would however tend to avoid running it WOT for long periods of times on hot days--air cooled scares me!

Dont have one but I have done a lot of research regarding small outboards lately and on this particular one for about a year. Almost every review I read the number one complaint was noise...they are loud compared to other comparable sized motors. Additionally I have noticed that many places that used to carry this or list it, no longer do so one has to wonder if they have been discontinued by the manufacture and or what parts availability would be for them if they needed repair. The upside is I did run across several kits that allowed one to boost the HP rating on them a bit.

Thanks for the response! You confirmed what I was thinking but the price had to be looked at I was wondering why someone would sell a motor that has only an hour.5 on it’s too loud. Not what I want back to the search

John H

Latest posts