Questions before I get Started - Polar Kraft MV1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

va_sc_fisher

Reaction score
Hello!
I just purchased a 1988 Polar Kraft MV1436 with a 1995 Evinrude 20, w/trailer.

I have a few questions before I get started on design of deck....

First of all I do not want to compromise safety - I see where people cut out the bench seats, and do away with them all sometimes, like the 'hydrilla gorilla' I have seen. Doesn't that make your boat pretty much unfloatable if it were to turn over?

For my use, I want to have the following built in under or in the deck:

Fuel / battery compartment, stereo with a couple of speakers, storage for life vests, etc and fishing rods...and maybe a small live-well....
I would like to distribute weight so possibly the battery up front closer to the trolling motor and could put the stereo up front.

I do not want to deck the whole boat...I still want to have room to transport things in the boat such as things you take on a trip that can be thrown in the boat that are not too heavy.... but take up some room like aluminum beach chairs, toys, couple of coolers and a plastic tote or two...and still be able to cover the boat.

My initial thought is to extend the bow seat rear about a foot with place for the battery, stereo, and maybe the wiring buss / switch panel.

For the back, I was thinking I could deck from rear bench back to the transom to have a nice cover over the fuel tank and storage area. Would this be a place that something else could be stored, like rods?

I have been thinking about removing one of the bench seats, and the only one I can think of taking out would be the one in the middle....is this a problem? Does floatation need to be added under the deck floor to replace what is removed?

Since this is a 1436 and not the '1448 Wide' - I am thinking overall I do not want to have a high deck with pedestal seats because it is not going to be stable...is there a general rule to live by with 1436?

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

• 040108_12242.jpg
    040108_12242.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2,582
  • 040108_12251.jpg
    040108_12251.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,581
  • 040108_12252.jpg
    040108_12252.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2,582
  • 040108_12241_sm.jpg
    040108_12241_sm.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,578
:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining!

From your description it sounds like your right on the money with all your ideas about the boat.

I also hear you on saving the space so you can use it as transportation for the other stuff. On a vacation trip, the boat holds the Grill, The kids bikes, coolers, lawn chairs. It ends up looking like a floating dumpster! :LOL2:

Welcome aboard!

Like your ideas towards this project, I am sure some of our more knowledge members will have some great input.

Doesn't that make your boat pretty much unfloatable if it were to turn over?
Yes, it will sink like, well a tin can. The only way to prevent this is to add back the floatation that you take out plus some for the added weight. But the catch22 is now you have no under deck storage. Under my deck is packed full of styrofoam, I did it mostly to keep it simple.
I really wanted to remove the center bench on mine but after I cut it and the rear out it was very flimsy(twisted easily), granted I was going to add some bracing back but I didn't want to chance it. So I rebuilt the center area back only taller and wider and put a hatch on the top so now I have a storage compartment and a much stiffer boat. As Waterwings said keep your decks as low as possible on a 36" wide boat.
Here's mine:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23409#23409

va_sc_fisher said:
Does floatation need to be added under the deck floor to replace what is removed?

...is there a general rule to live by with 1436?

Thanks,
Chuck

Welcome Chuck

I for one have a 1436 and was considering in the beginning to remove the middle bench seat, I chickened out, to much risk, so I decked.

Don't go above the bench seats on decking for a rule of thumb for 1436 jons.

Check out the other builds if you haven't yet for assurance

Mines the "1436 project Kinda done" https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416

:D

Thanks for all the input!

I saw the thread on the Ezy-Stik steering system for Jon Boats...but if you are going to use one of those, how do you control the throttle remotely?

:?:

Latest posts