Red fish in two days, all approx 6 to 7 lbs each.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
Caught all these red fish on this Zoom Super Fluke with tail dipped in chartruse dye, hooked on a 1/8 oz. Rockport Rattling Jigs head, they were all approx 6 to 7 lbs each. They all fought like 10 lb bass. Caught on two different days.

Attachments

• These four caught Jan 3, 2011.jpg
    These four caught Jan 3, 2011.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 221
  • red3.jpg
    red3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 221
  • zoom2.jpg
    zoom2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 221
  • jigs.jpg
    jigs.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 221
Boy that does sound like fun... I am no familar with the Red Fish. Are there any in the midwest and if so where?

freetofish said:
Boy that does sound like fun... I am no familar with the Red Fish. Are there any in the midwest and if so where?

None in the midwest, they are saltwater fish. I have only gone down to the gulf twice fishing and both times we had a blast with redfish. BTW, the big ones are 30-40 lbs, bull reds. I think the record is like 94 lbs. Man, I really love saltwater fishing.

Tim

The eating is the best though.LOL
One way is called "red fish on the half shell".
Filet the fish but do not take the skin/scales off. Rinse with water and damp dry. I put lemon juice on and then spread butter on top of that then sprinkle with Tony's Chachere's Creole Seasoning, salt and pepper. Put on hot coals grill or a gas grill skin and scales down for approx 20 to 25 minutes or until you can take a fork and start to flake off the meat, then shes done! The items you are add are a personal reference and will vary from time to time. Some add different spices from their local area, that will depend on your taste, enjoy whatever you do. I have heard of others using different kinds of fish, try it to see.
I soak some mesquite, hickory, oak, or apple wood in small splintered pieces approx about 3 hours in water and add on top of the charcoal or on my gas grill for added flavor. You do not want it flaming, you want it smoking.
Remove from the grill onto a platter and then use a metal spatular to seperate the meat from the skin and dispose of the skin/scales and start eating some great red fish, see pics below.

Attachments

• Red on Half shell.jpg
    Red on Half shell.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Refish filet.jpg
    Refish filet.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 194
  • redfish half shell.jpg
    redfish half shell.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 194
Hey all you bass guys, that Zoom lure will catch you lots of bass if you use it, it was made for bass fishing.
Before a hurricane a couple of years ago my family all my friends fled from the Texas Gulf Coast and went inland to Toledo Bend Reservoir on the border between Texas and Louisiana and before the storm hit, I caught a lot of bass from that lake on that lure.
It is a Zoom 5" Salty Super Fluke, White Ice, #023-185 and I dip the tail in chartreuse dye. Catches fish, jus sayin.

I enjoy fishing for redfish, too.

Typically, when I do it, I use a 6 weight fly rod, with a light circle hook and a live shrimp threaded on the hook.

I cast up-current, and let it sweep along until something snatches the bait. Yeah, I know, it's not 'true' fly fishing, as I'm actually using live bait. But it works!

What ever works for you is the key. I have 4 rods, and all 4 have different sizes, actions, colors on each. Some have paddle tails, straight tails and other or what we call down here on the coast, touts (shrimp tails) fished on a 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz jig head.see pic below. I change about every 30 min or so to see what is working then I stay with that until they quit biting. I catch red fish, flounder, speckled trout(sea trout) and sand trout all in the same area I am fishing. You just never know what you will get on that ol line. In the spring, I have even caught some stripers and what they call a gasper gou. (saltwater catfish) in that same area all in the same day.

Attachments

• -SHRIMPTAIL.jpg
    -SHRIMPTAIL.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 183
Forgot to add to this post:
In Texas, on red fish, the minimum length you can keep is is 20" and the max length is 28", anything under 20" and anything over 28" must be released back, and the max of fish you can keep is three per person per day.

Latest posts