Red fish on the half shell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
For all yall red fish fisherman who love to eat the red fish different ways, I have been grilling these on my charcoal grill for some time now, and its real easy. Try it, you might like it. You filet the red fish, but do not take the skin and scales off, leave it on. On a platter place the filets skin and scales down, and I sprinkles on lemon concentrate all over, then spread butter on. Then I sprinkle sea salt, black pepper, garlic salt and Tony's Chachere's creole seasoning all over. Place filets down skin and scales down on the grill and cook until the meats starts to seperate with a fork, approx 25 minutes or so, depends on how hot the grill is. Put the filets back on the platter, and use a wide metal spatular to seperate the skin from the meat and put on another platter and eat the best tasting fish you ever eat. No some don't like the Tony's so you can use whatever seasoning suited to your taste. Now, some do not seperate the meat from the skin, and eat straight from the skin. I prefer to seperate and have nothing but pure meat left, enjoy, and let me know how ya like it.
Some people like to use aluminun foil under their fish, but I do not.

Attachments

• Red on Half shell.jpg
    Red on Half shell.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 338
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear and boat for what I said I paid for it.

OH MAN!! THIS GOT ME ROLLING!!!

This fish looks great also. I've never had Redfish but that looks good.

That looks great - I have cooked redfish that way as well as several other species. Will basically work for anything that has large scales and a thicker skin. I do Tog and sometimes striper (aka Rockfish) like that and it is just plain delicious

I forgot the most important thing, I take mequite wood and soak in water for a couple of hours and drop on top of the coals and when the smoke starts is when you get the most flavor. Some use pecan, oak, apple chips, but I use mesquite wood chips. Vary you seasonings to your own taste.
The 2 reds below are some of the fish I used, they were both approx 23"-25" long and weighed approx 7 to 8 lbs each. They made some super nice meals for "supper" time here about 2 weeks ago. That is the lure I used also, a Zoom 5" Salty Super Fluke, white ice, no. 023-185 with the tail dipped in chartruse worm dye on a chartruse painted 1/4 oz. Rockport Rattling Jig head. The rattling jig head seams to work a lot better than the non-rattling jig head. Work with a slow pupping up and down motion. Good fishing.

Attachments

• red4.jpg
    red4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 316
  • red3.jpg
    red3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 316
  • These four caught Jan 3, 2011.jpg
    These four caught Jan 3, 2011.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 316
Mmmm Love me some redfish! I miss those fights, where it feels like you hooked into a bull. There were times I was certain I would be spooled by one of those.

We used to fillet and broil them in butter, garlic, and tony's creole seasong. Not as good as BBQed but good enough

Is there any other way to cook a Redfish :LOL2: ? You can't go wrong with Tony's. I helped a friend run a 3 day charter fishing trip last weekend and I grilled fish for them the first night and they made me grill some more the second night. I grill just about all my fish lately.

Yes, I love em that way. Now I'm thinking about grilling some flounder maybe in open alum foil so the smoke smell can cover them with lots of flavor. Any hints?
I have about 4 nice flounder in the freezer just hollering to be grilled, LOL
Do yall ad wood chips on your charcoal or make a container of alum foil and add the chips and poke some holes in the top, and place on top of the grill to the side so they want burn. Thats the way some of the ol folks down here are grilling now.