Regulations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Just a general question.I read alot of posts and see statements like "you should bring oars just in case..."etc.
In the states are the regulations for what you need in a smallboat.
Under 20foot here:(inland waters):
lifejacket for everyperson in the boat
bailer(manual pump)
horn/whistle
oar/50foot rope with anchor
watertight flashlight/flares
50 foot heavy floating line
navagation lights(if dark/low visiblity)
Plus next year everyone(some already)has to ahve completed a boating corse and have the card with them.

It depends on the state. PA's laws are not as strict as yours for small boats. See the "optional" list at the bottom:
https://www.fish.state.pa.us/boatcrs/03boathandbook/legal9.htm

I've noticed each state has it's own specifics. I know the good ole hoosier state says, life jacket for each person, throwable floatation device for boats over 16ft, orange flag or flares for distress, wistle or horn, fire extinquisher, rope, oar, and i don't beleive they require a anchor or alternate means of water dispursment, but they do suggest a spare bucket.

I got stopped earlier in the year by the coast guard and they gave me what they called a "free safety insepection" Yeah right! Anyway, they gave me a little red sticker to put on my visor showing I had it done. I have not been stopped by the Indiana DNR one time this year since putting that sticker on.