Repair #2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't give up.You're to far into it to scrap it.I have 5 cars,4 motorcycles,2 houses,1 boat,1 outboard,and 1 trolling motor that I have entirely to much time and money wrapped up in.I don't give up just take a break for a day or two and then go back to work.A boat is not an investment,just a pain in the @$$ hobby.

Where would I be able to get a service manual for this motor... 225.587500 Gamefisher 1988.

Well,

I called Sherwood at the online place that I order the fuel pump kit from.

I asked him about the oil in the water and described the situation to him.

He asked a few questions, what engine, the amount of HP and what brand oil I am mixing...

He said there is nothing wrong with the outboard, but to get Mercury outboard oil and fresh gas.

He said that is just un-burned oil coming out of the exhaust and it will eventually clean out.

I guess I won't run the motor again until I get fresh gas mix with good oil.

What do you guys think about that response ?

i might be wrong but that is to much oil for it to be unburnt oil look on your lower unit there should de a screw that says fill here take it out and look at the oil to see if it looks milky like it has water in it

dedawg1149 said:
i might be wrong but that is to much oil for it to be unburnt oil look on your lower unit there should de a screw that says fill here take it out and look at the oil to see if it looks milky like it has water in it

I agree.Usually dark colored oil is from the lower unit.Oil through the exhaust usually has a tint the same color as the unburnt oil.At least that is the way my Gamefisher does.Maybe different on other motors.

Got Mercury branded oil and mixed correctly this time, and it is running not as smokey and not spiting oil as before...

The water in the bucket does get oily but that is about it... Who knows...

I cleaned the carb, the float only has a fix level so it can not be adjusted but it seems to be working fine.

The pump kit did not get here today, I ordered on Monday, it should had been here by now but what ever...

Started the engine, and it runs a little better, but still won't idle.

The good news is that now, when in gear, I can rev it all the way up and it won't die, so the gas supply seems to be good.

Starting it is not reliable, sometimes it starts right away, other times I have to pull the cord 5 times before it gets going...

Everyone in town is charging $90+ / HR just to look at it, not fix it.

What next ?

Latest posts