Repair Console Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoedawg

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my remod and have some damage on the top console I would like to repair or replace. My Boat is a 2000 Fisher Dominator 17.

The console itself is made of a matted fiberglass shell, and does not appear to have any damage, however the thin plastic shell that sits on top and over the fiberglass shell does.

I have provide pictures to showcase the damage. Anyone know what kind of "plastic" this is? Is it easily repairable for a DIY'er like me or am I better off getting it fix by a professional? I have looked to find a replacement for it, but I am striking out on finding one. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the console before removal. That is green cheap rhino liner paint that the previous owner put on. It will be removed and repainted by me.
Console Before Removal.jpg

This is the front of the console before removal. Note the damage in the upper center of the console.
Console Before Removal 2.jpg

Corner damage of the console
Big Corner Damage.jpg

Corner tear
Corner Tear.jpg

Here is the front that has a missing piece.
Front Tear.jpg

Stress Cracks in the console. I would like to repair them to be able to strengthen the console cover.
Stress Cracks.jpg

Here is the plastic console cover with the fiberglass shell underneath.
Console cover with fiberglass shell underneath.jpg

Attachments

• Console Front Removed.jpg
    Console Front Removed.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 885
  • Console Panel.jpg
    Console Panel.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 885
  • Stress Cracks 2.jpg
    Stress Cracks 2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 885
  • Stress Cracks in Console Panel.jpg
    Stress Cracks in Console Panel.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 885
  • Under Console (Fibergalss Shell).jpg
    Under Console (Fibergalss Shell).jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 885
Take a rag with some acetone to the back side. Let is soak on the plastic for a minute. If the acetone is eating the plastic then you can use fiberglass to reinforce the backside.
After that you only have 2 options that I can see. Try and contact the manufacturer, or remove it all and build your own.

I'd go for the latter.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352061#p352061 said:
huntinfool » 12 May 2014, 10:55[/url]"]Take a rag with some acetone to the back side. Let is soak on the plastic for a minute. If the acetone is eating the plastic then you can use fiberglass to reinforce the backside.
After that you only have 2 options that I can see. Try and contact the manufacturer, or remove it all and build your own.

I'd go for the latter.

Thanks. I think I am going to have to do the "latter" as you suggested. I have called several companies around the Idaho area that do boat repair but cannot find a solid answer. I am calling automotive repair shops to get the take on it.

Could I use a wood console on top of my aluminum base console. I know not to use pressure treated lumber. What do you think it cost to make a aluminum replacement for the top?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352070#p352070 said:
muskiemike12 » 12 May 2014, 11:13[/url]"]Can you use Bondo, prime then paint it?

I am not familiar with Bondo. I just took a quick look at it. Looks like they have patches for it here:

https://bondo.com/products/automotive/bumper-and-plastic-repair/bondo-self-adhesive-patch-932.html

I wonder if I got the plastic cleaned up and primed it would work?

Is Bondo somewhat easy and effective to use? Do you think it will help? Can it be sanded?

Bondo is not the answer. It will just crack out on a boat. Boats just take a beating on the water and flex way too much. Honestly, I'd loom for some aluminum and make one out of that. It could all be bolted or pop riveted together, heck, you might find a used one on eBay or craigslist.

You can also look on greatlakesskipper.com. They might have a console that will fit.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353189#p353189 said:
huntinfool » 22 May 2014, 13:09[/url]"]Bondo is not the answer. It will just crack out on a boat. Boats just take a beating on the water and flex way too much. Honestly, I'd loom for some aluminum and make one out of that. It could all be bolted or pop riveted together, heck, you might find a used one on eBay or craigslist.

Thanks for the answer on Bondo. Sound advise Huntinfool. The more I keep researching about repairing/replacing the console, I keep leaning towards an aluminum replacement that can be made and customized to suit my needs. I am trying to keep it pretty simple. Have my dials in place, then a switch board for my lights, live well, etc., then a flat mount for a fisher finder.
As you said in your post, a top can be created and easily mounted to the bottom portion of the console base. There’s a guy in my town that can build one for a pretty reasonable price.

zrxfishing said:
You can also look on greatlakesskipper.com. They might have a console that will fit.

I have looked at greatlakesskipper.com and though they have a very fine selection, the consoles they have are kind out of my price range. But I appreciate the direction.

HuntinFool - - -> remove it all and build your own.

Personally, I would remove the plastic shell, then apply a few layers of fine glass cloth.
the smoother you get the finish, the less sanding you must do.
But, that is only because I am quite proficient with fiberglass and Bondo.

This could be a great fiberglass learning project for you because of the flat
surfaces you have to work with.

Bondo and Duct-Tape cures ALL ailments !!!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354080#p354080 said:
Barefoot_Johnny » 29 May 2014, 19:21[/url]"]
HuntinFool - - -> remove it all and build your own.

Personally, I would remove the plastic shell, then apply a few layers of fine glass cloth.
the smoother you get the finish, the less sanding you must do.
But, that is only because I am quite proficient with fiberglass and Bondo.

This could be a great fiberglass learning project for you because of the flat
surfaces you have to work with.

Bondo and Duct-Tape cures ALL ailments !!!

Barefoot_Johnny,

I have never dealt with fiberglass before. I am aware of glass cloth, but have no experience dealing with it. Is it difficult?

Are you suggesting I take the shell out and wrap the shell itself in a glass cloth? Can you point me to some terminology to start some research? If this would make a great fiberglass project, I wouldn’t mind trying. I would like the results to be somewhat semi-professional.

Shoe

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358184#p358184 said:
zipperer » 03 Jul 2014, 10:37[/url]"]That looks like the gel coat sepperateing. I would build an aluminum One it would be easy .

Looks like its going that way. Might as well. It would last longer in the long run.

I wouldn't use cloth. Its not that strong. I'd use stranded mat. Its much stronger and you can overlap it and there won't be any visible lines. If you were closer I'd say meet up and I'd rebuild it....but Idaho is too far.

You can mold fiberglass to fit almost any shape. Look at YouTube and you should find tons of videos.

If you want to just try something out, get a small kit from Walmart and copy a half of a flower pot or a beer can half.

Here you go. I found this one.

How To Make Fiberglass Part - Part 1: https://youtu.be/TFdDg9kwKrM

Latest posts