Repair Side of Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1022

Reaction score
I made a big mistake thinking of mounting a live well and then drilling 2 holes for drain and fill holes fittings. Well the fittings are leaking and I had to use my bilge pump more then I ever done. The hull is Fiberglass and plywood, so my problem is how to fill the hole I drilled, then fiberglass then paint. I have never used or done fiberglassing at all, I need all the help I can get.
Dennis

The hole I drilled was the size for through Hull drain hole and fill Live well hole.
https://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/Dennis102298/Live%20Well%20Ideas/71787_L1.jpg[/img]
When I drilled the hole, I didn't realize that the hull was such a angle that be a 1/2" on the bottom of the hole and the top is 7/8" and Diameter is 1-1/4" hole. I found out that the hole I drilled was letting water out. So I have another hole some where else.
Dennis

IF I understand correctely the thickness of the hull changes where the fitting goes through. thus cuasing your fitting not to seal tight and you have a leak. Seems to me the solution would be to make a piece that will allow the fitting to seal tight. If it were mine, I would buy a piece of Schedule 40 pvc to fit over the fitting, then cut it at an angle to match the haul. Fill the space with a water proof sealent, I used Aquarium sealer to seal my holes. Or you could make the piece from pressure treated wood.

If you must fill the hole in, cut a wood plug and fiberglass it in place.