Ressetable Thermal Circuit Breaker for Trolling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
I just moved my TM to the back of the boat, and ran wires in the best way i could think of. Buying a boat that someone else decked and finished was a good thing, untill i noticed all that i would like to change. Anyway, he didnt have any wires ran under the decks, so i had to run them in the hollow tubes on the top of the boat going down the side (dont know the correct name LoL) It looks like poop, but it works.

Now i need a circuit breaker for it, that is the only thing i am lacking. I am told i need atleast a 50 amp, but the biggest i can find is a 40 amp. I dont live near any marine stores, this is one from Auto Zone. Im not sure how it works, or how to put it on really. It has two studs coming out the top, and two holes on the side. So i guess i have 2 questions. Will a 40 amp work, and where do i put it? The battery right?

That 40amp will work with what you have. You put it inline with your postive wire. I usually set mine about 12-18" from the battery. Honestly, I don't even use them on my trolling motors even though people suggest you do it.

As far as running your wires, did you try using a fish tape?

https://cgi.ebay.com/TROLLING-MOTOR-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-50-AMP-12-24-VOLT_W0QQitemZ4605645064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item112849108&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
https://cgi.ebay.com/5-Reset-circuit-breakers-with-Bracket-50amp_W0QQitemZ170131998546QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories?hash=item279ca84752&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I have something like the last one,with a rubber cover and a peice that joins it right to the battery post.Got it shipped to Canada for like $12.I'll check to see if I can find the supplier.
https://www.iboats.com/Rig_Rite_12_Volt_Marine_Circuit_Breaker_with_Automatic_Reset/dm/cart_id.789770115--session_id.208478632--view_id.47142
It's like that but a manual reset and had a rubber boot attached.
You can get these at alot of places BPS.Cabelas...
Landlubbermarine was the place I got mine from on ebay.

Well i just went with the 40 amp. Should be enough for a 50 lb TM. I wasnt using one before, but i thought hey it cant hurt. I am also running my fish finder off this battery.

Russ, i didnt put it 18 inches from the battery, more like 4. LoL Will that be okay. Also, i dont know what fish tape is.....LoL

Here is the breaker i used:

Attachments

• breaker.jpg
    breaker.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 730
I ran a 40 amp on a 50 pound thrust for a while. Heck, like Russ, I too don't use one anymore (will probably void warranty, so don't do this on a new one - I am not to worried about the warranty on my 2001 MK). Planned on putting one in, it just never happened.

I personally don't think it matters how far from the battery it is as long as it is in there somewhere. A 40amp is just more security anyways - so don't worry about that. Now if it was bigger than a 50 is where you get into problems because it lets more amp pass through before breaking

Thanks a lot guys. This is a reconditioned MK with a 1 year warranty, so i thought i better put the thing on it. Like you said Russ, if i had to many amps before it tripped out, it may burns something up first. I think i will be good with the 40a, plus it was only 2.99. Woo Hoo!

Latest posts