Reverse lock ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackWoodsTracker

Reaction score
I have a 1983 25hp Merc tiller with pull start serial # 6383290. I got the motor to put on my dads boat. I got it running sweet. The only thing I don't like is that I see no lock so it doesn't kick up when put in reverse. I see fish4thriLLs had to disconnect his shift shaft linkage to remove his lower on an 80. Mine just dropped right off without disconnecting it. Mine shifts just fine, it just doesn't lock. I don't see any finger type things to grab the pin like on my other outboards. Is this motor missing that, or am I just not seeing what Merc put in there? I'l get pics tomorrow when I go over to my dads.

I have been trying that. I can't see anything that would lock it. And, it doesn't lock. I just know my dad won't like the idea of the motor comming up when it's put in reverse. He's pushing 70 and isn't very adventurous when it comes to things like that. Perch fishing opens on the 16th, I have to have it figured out by then.

If you're missing part #17 in this diagram, you will be needing to replace some parts for sure.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/676_12.cfm

That part is not there on my motor. I've been searching for a diagram like that for a while. Thanks for putting that up. Looks like I'll be looking over the motor to see what I have to order.

This is what I have to work with.
Withcovers.jpg

And with the covers removed.
P6020457.jpg

I need to have this working by the 16th. My dad wants it ready for perch season. I don't want to have to take the trolling motor off the big boat! I don't see that #17 part at all, same with the springs. What would activate the claw arm looking thing even if it were there?

Dan

I believe part #7 is what activates the pawls but whether #7 is somehow connected to the shifter or it's on lever, I can't tell from the diagram.

I think I'm just going to give up on this motor. I put new seals under the water pump, and it still pumps out all the fluid in the lower unit. I think it may be comming out where the shift shaft is going into. My lower comes right off without disconnecting the shaft. I think that might be the main cause of the fluid comming out. Unless this is just another missing seal, or I find a good lower, the rest of this motor might just get parted out.

I left the motor over at my dads. I'll get some pics of what it all looks like just to see what you guys say about it.

How is the shift shaft held in the lower unit? Is it just from the pressure of the o-ring on the retainer? I know this is where the oil is pumping out on me now. My o-ring is not very tight in there! I don't see anything else that would hold that in place. My order is going out for #22,23 & 24 on this page.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/676_14.cfm

And #17,18 & 19 from this page. #7 is no longer availabe. I can try to make that.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/676_14.cfm

If I can't figure out how the shaft is supposed to be held in there, I guess I'll fab something to hold it in somehow.

The older mercs didn't require disconnecting any shaft connectors in order to drop the lower unit. They had the shift shaft set up like the drive shaft with a spline on the end of the shaft. The 2 splines simply slid apart when you removed the bolts and lowered the lower unit a little. I'm not sure what year they started connecting the shift shaft differently. One of the better things you could do right now would be to invest in a good service manual which will show you how to work on your motor.

JMichael, I know I need a manual, I'm in the process of that right now. I have 3 older Mercs that I do have manuals for. This motor isn't covered in the manuals I have. I know somebody knows what holds that shaft in place.