rivet tool info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinboatlover

Reaction score
This might help someone on their boat project. I have gone through 5 rivet tools made by Arrow and I have been using their 3000 series which is supposed to be their commercial rivet tool. However, after using 5 of their rivet tools, I finally said enough is enough. I finally found a rivet tool at Harbor Freight that works great for $18. It can be used for aluminum or stainless steel up to 1/4" rivets. I looked at rivet tools that cost 10x the price, but I bought the $18 version and it works great. In case you are wondering, the rivet tool I am referring to is a little under 18 inches and it is very smooth. If you are having trouble with your rivet tool, check out the Harbor Freight version. I hadn't tried them before because they are normally viewed as cheaper products, but this time I learned my lesson. Name brand tools are not always better, just more expensive. I don't know if anyone else has been frustrated by having to buy several different rivet tools during their rebuild, but I just thought this might help somebody out.

HELLO

do u happen to have the model or series. I'm also new to this website. And I just recently got my hands on an old aluminum ouachita Jon boat. There is a middle seat I'm thinking about tearing out for extra space. Kindda scared about the holes it would leave behind. Might have them welded shut. But might be expensive not much budget at t

his time. Any rivets in particular u recommend.

Thanks

czuniga,

I have used several different brands of rivets and I have not noticed a huge difference in the rivets. I have just used 3/16" rivets in both 1/4 and 1/2 inch lengths. I got frustrated because I couldn't find a rivet tool that wouldn't tear up after a few rivets. I had one that only did one rivet and then it started snapping rivets. The link to the rivet tool I was talking about is https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-17-1-2-half-inch-hand-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html

That's like the one I bought at Menards....but you'll find that you need a 90 degree one for those tighter places...you need lots of room to open the handles on the ones in the link.

thanks for the info i'll make sure to pick one up this weekend. Quesiton,do you apply something like sealant the placing the rivets to cover up the holes after removing bench or does the rivet itself does the job.

thanks

czuniga,

If you are asking about rivets that are used to connect the bench to the hull, you will need closed-end rivets. Regular pop rivets will not work. I have used pop rivets with 5200 sealant, but it is not as good as closed end rivets.

Just stopping by to say that my pop rivet gun is about 30 years old and made by Craftsman. It's still going strong!

Just looked at the video in the link. That tool could double as an exercise machine! I have a 90 degree rivet gun which can be used with one hand if needed.

Actually, due to the extra leverage, it is much easier than a 90 degree conventional rivet tool. I have 5 of the traditional tools sitting in a pile.