Rookie with 2 stroke:)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guy's I'm fixing to ask a stupid question or two but I want to make sure I don't mess anything up!
My boat has a 15hp Mercury 2 stroke. What is the proper mixture of oil and fuel? I thought my tank was a five gallon but a friend of mine told me most of them are six gallon tanks. Also is there a difference when it comes to two stroke oil for boats vs other two stroke equip. such as yard equip or motorcycles? Also any pointers as far as maintaining my outboard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WVO

Most likely 50:1 but some of them are 100:1.

While there probably isn't an ounce worth of difference in the 2 cycle oil, usually buying in the larger quantity that is marketed toward outboards is cheaper.

50 to 1. They say to make sure you buy oil that says 2 cycle water cooled (TCW), however I have used oil for my stihl chainsaw before with no ill effects. But I wouldn't make a habbit of it. Just get the stuff that for water cooled 2 cycles to be safe.

you may already know this but just gonna throw it out there. always run the gas out when you are loadin up. it makes for a lot less carb cleaning in the long run.

Latest posts