Running my jet in the fall

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentam

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks for running a jet in the fall with all the leaves in the water? Put in on lake Tanecomo this afternoon, between the ramp and dock, had the grate plugged full of leaves. Thank's

It's unavoidable but a few things that help, my jet is mounted higher which helps for fall/winter fishing. Yes, depending on conditions, it will suck some air from time to time but I just trim down for a moment and keep her going. To deal with the leaves accumulation, I generally don't run the deep slow pools on rivers at slow/idle speed; I use the trolling motor to scout around instead. If I feel I'm losing any power, I stop in the first deep water or, pull over & shut down; then trim the motor up/down a few times to let the leaves fall off. Really a small window of time when this occurs but the better fishing makes it easy to accept. If you don't have power trim some jet boat guys use a small kiddie style, a cut handled plastic or spring tinned rakes to reach under and clean the grate.

Most of the time, if it is just leaves, I turn the key off while underway. Make sure you are in deep enough water. Wait about 5 seconds or so, drop it in neutral, start it and continue on your way. The force of the water will usually clear the leaves.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do but stop and manually clear it.

If you have a trolling motor use it near the bank to get to deeper water and away from the leaves, as best you can, before firing up the motor. Once you fire it up, it is going to suck anything near it to the grates.

It'll get better in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips it has not been as bad as the first day, they have been generating a little water in the afternoon, but when they first start generating, Its like a sudden mass of junk floating through.

My experience with most debris (except weeds and rocks jammed in the grate) is just like the others said. I had twin motors on my old boat, when one got plugged up I'd just shut it off for a few seconds to clear the grate. Never had to stop or come off step most of the time.

Or just wait till the leaves are gone and deal with ice. I only plugged up a few times in ten miles. I think the boat is getting put away this weekend. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446095635.128367.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446094862.186948.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446094862.186948.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,634
In addition to all these tips, I suggest getting some compressed air. Shoot it in the "pee" hole.
It will clear out the mulched leaves and keep the motor running cool.
I struggled for years until figuring some of this out.
Been wanting to design some kind of grate with a handle to run in the fall and winter but haven't been able to yet. Like a stomp grate on an INboard jet.

OUTBOARD JET STOMP GRATE https://www.stompgrates.com/mediac/400_0/media/P2080023.JPG https://www.stompgrates.com/index2.html

Attachments

• outboard stop grate.JPG
    outboard stop grate.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,479

Latest posts