Sea Nymph SC 175 sidewinder Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments Guy's
Done with vinyl and carpet for now.
We are going to start sanding boat and trailer tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 899
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 899
Thanks for the positive comments. We are blessed to have a heated/air conditioned barn to work in.
Took the vinyl adhesive of and sanded boat today.
Also Removed boat from trailer and put it on horses and stands.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 871
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 871
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 871
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 871
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 871
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 871
Put the paint on it today. Went through much more paint than expected 3 quarts of black.
Turned out looking good. Now let it set for couple days and then lots of clean up. :LOL2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 840
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 840
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 840
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 840
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 840
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337292#p337292 said:
rscottp » 28 Dec 2013, 18:35[/url]"]Looks good, hope that respirator is keeping that paint out our your lungs!
Thanks rscottp, The respirator does a great job. Not sure why I always get so much over spray when I paint? Makes the clean up a pain.

I admired your heat garage also and I am in Toronto just a few hours away from you and I know how important it is if you have a nice warm working enviornment.

Do you mind if I ask you what type of paint did you use and what about primer?

I have a smokercraft stilleto which I am considering repaint but what is the best primer to use on bare aluminum?

I don't want to strip all the existing paint but certainly will degrease and sand before painting and there are some spots where the original paint been worn thru so I will need to feather smooth all bare spot and prime it first any tips you can share will be very much appreciated.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337329#p337329 said:
spcamno » 29 Dec 2013, 00:19[/url]"]I admired your heat garage also and I am in Toronto just a few hours away from you and I know how important it is if you have a nice warm working enviornment.

I have a smokercraft stilleto which I am considering repaint but what is the best primer to use on bare aluminum?

I don't want to strip all the existing paint but certainly will degrease and sand before painting and there are some spots where the original paint been worn thru so I will need to feather smooth all bare spot and prime it first any tips you can share will be very much appreciated.
spcamno,
The primer I used was epoxy primer/sealer.
The paint Was Acrylic Urethane (Super Jet Black).
Both where Montana Products.
I used this same paint on my Jeep frame when I rebuilt it 7 years ago and seems very durable.
I did not have any bare spots in the Aluminum ( a few scratches down to bare) I used 320 grit sand paper with my DA sander to get the shine off.
Not sure what primer to use on bare Aluminum I would ask the automotive paint store. My local store was very helpful with any questions I had.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 812
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 812
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337341#p337341 said:
Humj7 » 29 Dec 2013, 07:04[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337329#p337329 said:
spcamno » 29 Dec 2013, 00:19[/url]"]I admired your heat garage also and I am in Toronto just a few hours away from you and I know how important it is if you have a nice warm working enviornment.

spcamno,
The primer I used was epoxy primer/sealer.
The paint Was Acrylic Urethane (Super Jet Black).
Both where Montana Products.
I used this same paint on my Jeep frame when I rebuilt it 7 years ago and seems very durable.
I did not have any bare spots in the Aluminum ( a few scratches down to bare) I used 320 grit sand paper with my DA sander to get the shine off.
Not sure what primer to use on bare Aluminum I would ask the automotive paint store. My local store was very helpful with any questions I had.

Thanks Humj7 for your prompt reply.

Your boat looks really good and now I am eager to repaint mine in the Spring I will consult a buddy who owns a auto body shop he should know what works what doesn't.

Any idea on decal and graphics?

What are you prepare to do put on and where to purchase them?

I know some places do computer cut vinyl graphics locally but they aren't cheap and any decals order from the dealer will be expensive.

Thanks

spcamno,
The wife has a vinyl cutter and the program to Design so I should be able to get them at cost (HA HA). The picture below is what we are thinking at the moment. She has put the graphic on a old picture to see what it looks like.
CountryDave,
Thanks again for your kind words. Your build is awesome!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 795
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337403#p337403 said:
Humj7 » 29 Dec 2013, 19:37[/url]"]spcamno,
The wife has a vinyl cutter and the program to Design so I should be able to get them at cost (HA HA). The picture below is what we are thinking at the moment. She has put the graphic on a old picture to see what it looks like.
CountryDave,
Thanks again for your kind words. Your build is awesome!!
Wow, just wow!

I am too jealous so to speak! LoL.

Any idea roughly cost to do both sides in the graphics?

Will you consider making those for fellow members for a nominal fee?

Thanks

spcamno,

No need to be jealous just a average Joe that has accumulated a lot of stuff over the years.
Vinyl Graphics is what she does for a hobby.
Cost for these type of Graphics very a lot by design ( how many colors,size availability of vinyl ).
Have never done any online sales.( Not completely out of the question.)

Got boat back on trailer and cleaned up the barn.
Next put diamond plate aluminum on gunnel caps and rub rails back on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 748
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 748
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337750#p337750 said:
Humj7 » 02 Jan 2014, 19:10[/url]"]Got boat back on trailer and cleaned up the barn.
Next put diamond plate aluminum on gunnel caps and rub rails back on.

No wait a minute................where'e the vinyl graphics?

Without those creative design from Mrs Humj7 its not complete (lol).

Beautiful transformation very very nice, the effect with a freshly painted trailer looks astonishing!

Now you make me wanted to paint the trailer too if I ever do the boat!

Got a few things done today.
Had to spend some time doing maintenance on the truck 1st
3 coats of bed liner on rub rails and pedestal bases.

spcamno,
Thanks for the nice comments.
I want to want 30 days or so before we put graphics on the new paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 718
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 718
Well, If you make them out of aluminum they never rot. If you paint that aluminum then you won't have to shine it up from time to time.
The white plastic cutting boards would make good control panel faces that stuffs easy to work and smooth out with a dremel.
I personally wanted to put some wood on mine but just didn't have the panel space, some nice stained then sealed wood switch panels would look swank!

I think carbon fiber will be nice but its time consuming to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c

Another alternative is use ABS sheet and vinyl wrap, you can get carbon fiber look (3D) and actually doesn't look that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Im5wW_CPoE

Latest posts