Self Etch - latex primer - top coat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Afternoon all...

I could spin my wheels all day looking at threads about primer and paint, projects, and who did what and which is best... Which I actually did.

And even a private message to another member asking his experience.

I am pretty sure I understand the benefits of self etching primer on bare aluminum. the reaction creates a better bond for secondary layers of primer or paints.
Which I purchased 3 cans of to do the outside of my boat.

41HN-uYMSuL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

I have my boat down to bare alum.

However, from reading other posts and projects (thank you Jonboat Jerry) I have seen some use the Rustoleum Latex Primer for Aluminum and Galvanized metal, which I bought two cans of.

mUUh1YzF3IYA0sEwdjborzQ.jpg

I was planning on spraying a light coat of the self etch, with two coats of the Latex primer, followed by 2 coats of a oil based top coat.

I have heard not to use Latex, and others say the latex will be fine if I paint over it with a nice top coat...

I am lost here and looking for direction on what to do.

Thanks all.

I was a house painter 20 years ago so things may have changed but the rule was you could put latex over oil but never oil over latex!. Self etch primer is a good base for the oil based paint you have. I don't understand why you would put latex between the self etch and the oil? Seems like you are adding a week link that will fail pretty quickly. Just my 2 cents but its your boat, good luck. Take pictures. :D

That is not what I wanted to hear, but wanted to hear.

I guess I just wasted $35 bucks on primer I dont need.

crap.

Oh well.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340659#p340659 said:
tonynoriega » 03 Feb 2014, 17:17[/url]"]That is not what I wanted to hear, but wanted to hear.

crap.

Oh well.

I would think you could return it if it is unopened.

Ebay. Probably not worth the hassle.

Looked for it for weeks locally, no one had it, had to go the Ebay route.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340661#p340661 said:
rscottp » Today, 16:00[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340659#p340659 said:
tonynoriega » 03 Feb 2014, 17:17[/url]"]That is not what I wanted to hear, but wanted to hear.

crap.

Oh well.

I would think you could return it if it is unopened.

Oh well! I just kinda did the same thing. I bought some rustoleum aluminum(color) paint that I planned to use on my CC and interior, I thought it was gray. It was metallic and ugly, now I am trying to use it up to seal wood that will never be seen. Live and learn!

I would agree with rscottp about not putting oil over latex, just stick with the self etch primer. If you are really not sure just give Rustoleum customer service a call and they should help. Home depot carries the Rustoleum latex primer that you bought, I would try returning it to them, might be worth a try. If not and you have a old galvanized trailer you can use the primer on it and redo the trailer and/or your wheels too with a top coat of paint. I did mine with the Rustoleum silver color and am very happy with the results. Most people I guess do not paint their galvanized trailers, but mine is from the 70's and was getting "grubby"......anyway just a thought as I do not know how old your trailer is.
I would recomend putting a hardener in the enamel top coat for your boat. Just my 2 cents...good luck and have fun.

That is actually a good idea sr71. I have an old 197X Dilly Trailer
DSCN2078.JPG

Not sure if you can tell me or not whether or not it is galvanized.
Would I just try to strip it down with a grinder or wire brush? Or try to get it sand blasted???

Ok, so going just self etch primer and a few top coats.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340691#p340691 said:
sr71 » Today, 19:48[/url]"]I would agree with rscottp about not putting oil over latex, just stick with the self etch primer. If you are really not sure just give Rustoleum customer service a call and they should help. Home depot carries the Rustoleum latex primer that you bought, I would try returning it to them, might be worth a try. If not and you have a old galvanized trailer you can use the primer on it and redo the trailer and/or your wheels too with a top coat of paint. I did mine with the Rustoleum silver color and am very happy with the results. Most people I guess do not paint their galvanized trailers, but mine is from the 70's and was getting "grubby"......anyway just a thought as I do not know how old your trailer is.
I would recomend putting a hardener in the enamel top coat for your boat. Just my 2 cents...good luck and have fun.