Setting up 70# Minn Kota

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1022

Reaction score
I bought a Minn Kota 70# Edge Bow mount 24 volt! Got a great deal on it just over $500 brand new. Well I mounted it on my bow, but the problem I'm having is the motor won't turn. The other thing is that the operation manual show that the batteries have to be set up as, using 2 batteries. Black wire to one battery on the negative and the other cable Red goes to the other battery positive . Now the + battery (1) goes to - (2) battery. I was wondering why would I put a negative cable post to a positive cable post, wouldn't this cause the battery to spark or even blow up in my face?
Wirediagram7024volt.jpg

70MinnKotaEdgeBowmount24volt.jpg

100_0512.jpg

Any help would be grateful, Also the manual shows the motor mounting is on a angle. I don't have lot of space and when the motor is up transport position it sits next to the front seat!
Dennis

not sure why it won't turn...

but the negative cable connecting the neg on one battery to the postive on the other gives you your 24v. it won't spark on you at all - atleast it never has on my 71# motorguide... Make sure that the wire you use to connect it is atleast 8ga... I like using 4ga, just because it allows more amp flow

Thanks, it just seem to me kind of strange to hook neg to pos. The only thing now to do is figure why it not turning correctly. I seen one thing that they want me to do is make the T/M on a angle and the head will be straight. But my problem is not enough bow front to move!
Thanks again
Dennis

Dennis1022 said:
Thanks, it just seem to me kind of strange to hook neg to pos. Dennis
Dennis,
If you think about how batteries are installed in a flashlight might help you. A D-cell battery has 1.5 volts. 2 batteries in series gives the 3 volts that the bulb requires. If you where to lay the batteries on the table like they are installed in the flashlight, one end would be pos. and the other is neg. The point were the 2 touch each other is pos. to neg.
The jumper wire is putting the 2 deep cycle batteries in series, pos. from one to the neg of the other. You now have your 24 volts you need.
I have never had one spark on me. Just be careful that you do not cross the terminals of the same battery, that would get your attention quick! I would make all the connections to the batteries first before plugging in the motor.That way there is not a load that might spark.
I hope this helps you , Good luck with the new motor!

Thanks, It work great after I had to look over the setup I had when I bought it. Now just to think how the foot peddle works I'll be in business!
Dennis

series.gif
Is this how you have your batteries wired?
You have to take your power off of each seperate battery maybe thats what going on?
I have a hard time trying to read how someone hooks up their wiring,so if you already have it wired like this...sorry in advance.
Do you have use of a multi meter so you can measure the voltage off your batteries?
Are your batteries charged?

Zum: That is the way I have arranged the wires, Thanks anyway, at least you tried like everyone else on the site get good info! As for the turning the motor turns fine, but the foot switch need to be adjusted. So now I'm going to look into more on that. Also I have to make the foot control & mount it on plywood instead of putting holes in the floor of the boat. Is there any video on using foot control trolling motors?
Thanks everyone
Dennis

what needs to be adjusted? so the pedal is center for the orintation of how the motor is clamped? Just set the pedal on the floor dont mount it..

Are you talking about the power(speed)control on the side of the foot pedal.I suppose if it's turned way down to zero you might not get the prop. to spin.

Well, I haven't had it on the water since I bought it! I just got it mounted and now just trying to figure how and what makes it tick!
Here is the photo of the foot control.
untitled.jpg
No it turns easy but really can't see if it works until I get it on the water! As for the floor it is not carpet and the foot control slides all over the floor!
Dennis

No it doesn't have any rubber! But I could get some rubber pads that has adhesive. I didn't think about that Thanks!
Dennis

So far I have to mount it to a piece of plywood and then put a rubber pads on the bottom! I check the foot control and made the adjustment screw half way and made the pedal stand more flatter. I put my foot on it and it turns to the left every time but it won't turn right. This foot pedal don't have left & Right turn just forward and Con/off/Mon on the other side it has dial speed control. On the upper left you see that a push switch and that is all it has! So may be I need to send it back to the factory. I don't want to take it out on the water and not being able to steer the boat and crashing into something, I know I could just tie it done and check on the motor, but I have check the polarity and no kinks in the line? So anymore information would be great!
Dennis

is this a corded pedal or a cable pedal? No reason it shouldn't turn both directions if it is a cable... Take us a picture please..

The only photo is on the very first post! It is all covered up with black vinyl and I'm not sure if it is corded or cable! I'm pretty sure it is cable!

Latest posts