Shutting Off Outboard – Let Gas run out of carb YES or NO ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnDew

Reaction score
When I am done for the day and back at the dock, does it matter if I just hit the stop button and leave gas in the carb ?

Or is it better to unplug the fuel hose and let the engine burn down the gas in the carb ?

The assumption is I will be using the outboard again in the next few weeks, not putting it up for storage.

My other assumption is the carb would get less dirty or gunked up, if no gas was sitting in it ?

For reference my motor is a 1990, 2 stroke 15hp gamefisher/force outboard.

-thanks

I leave mine "wet" (gas in carbs) but will stabilize the gas (Stabil, etc) if will not be used for a month or more. I've been told by many that today's carburetors use neoprene, rubber, and alcohol resistant materials and that draining the fuel system (especially for storage) can put these parts at risk by allowing the materials to dry out and crack. Many (but certainly not all) manufacturers recommend the carbs be left wet and stabilized. To date I've had no issues with my outboards, lawnmower, tractor, snowblower, weedwhacker, etc using this method.

I have a 1979 35hp Evinrude and leave mine dry after each use. I don't know what the manufacturer recommends...it's my opinion that it's better. When I have done research, I found about 50/50 on ratio in answers...maybe a little more leaning towards keeping it dry for older 2-strokes.

I was always told with my quads that when I park them, I should shut the fuel off and let it burn off the gas in the carb. This caused all kinds of problems. For some reason this newer gas leaves a film in the carb that turns into a scale or skin when it dries on the surfaces, When you put in more gas and fire it up, that skin plugs all the jets up. I took apart and cleaned the carbs on my Yamaha Raptor so many times that I could do it in less than an hour. This is the only machine I have ever drained the fuel from and the only machine I ever had continual carb problems. I leave my mowers, weed wackers, chain saws, etc all full of gas when I put them up for the winter and they always start in the spring. I could park that Yamaha and a week later it wouldnt run. I am a firm believer in stabelizer for long term storage though. I like Seafoam.

sea foam as a stabilizer for storing fuel in the tank for extended periods of time?

i like sea foam alot ever since it brought compression back on two cylinders on my kz1000

nick4203 said:
sea foam as a stabilizer for storing fuel in the tank for extended periods of time?

i like sea foam alot ever since it brought compression back on two cylinders on my kz1000
I've been using it as a winter storage stabilizer for about 8 years now in my motorcycle, ATV, and lawnmower. I add 2oz to the gallon and when spring rolls around I just fire them up and burn that tank of fuel up letting it work as a cleaner on the fuel system. They smoke a little with that higher % of seafoam in the fuel but I haven't had a problem with any of them.

nick4203 said:

Yep, Seafoam will stabelize fuel for up to 2 years. It also works incredibly well at decarbing old outboards and just keeping everything in the motor clean. Its safe to add to your fuel and/or your oil and its safe for 2 and 4 stroke engines. I put that stuff in everything I own. I wish I had known about it back when I ran quads, I might not have had so many issues with that Yammy.

with a two stroke i would not run it until the carb is empty. your fuel contains the lube that keeps the top end lubed up, if you run it out of gas you run the motor without lube up top.

lovedr79 said:
with a two stroke i would not run it until the carb is empty. your fuel contains the lube that keeps the top end lubed up, if you run it out of gas you run the motor without lube up top.

I've always been told the same thing . Multi carb. motors will spit and sputter when one carb. is emptied , but the engine is still running on other cylinders. This means that one or more are running dry without any lube.

The most important thing is to not run old gas. The gas today is crap. The ethanol is suppose to make up 10% of it, but there are stories where its actually been significantly higher. The shelf life on today's gas sucks and it is worse with 2-strokes like yours. Some believe the ethanol reacts with the oil mixed in with the gas and makes it drier in the sense it does not do its job of lubricating as good. Go to a few marine repair shops and ask them if they have encountered many issues with today's gas and 2-stroke outboards. They will all probably tell you horror stories. You have the whole phase separation where the ethanol separates from the gas and then bonds with water. The alcohol being an excellent solvent can loosen vanish from the carb and then plug it up.

I personally unplug the hose from my 1970's Johnson and let the gas run out. I also am always filling up my 6 gallon fuel tank within two weeks after using up all the gas. If it was going to take a month to use up a 6 gallon tank, I would switch to two 3 gallon tanks.

I do not have problems with ethanol gas............because i do not use it in any of my boats.I have allways been told to run non-ethanol in any boat, or small engine . I do use a stabilizer called startron you can get it at most walmarts in the boating section.I also run a fuel/water filter on both boats these are also found at walmart. In 2 strokes i agree with leaving the carbs wet, however have been told to run 4 strokes dry because of the small ports in the carbs . i guess everyone has there ideas on what to do. Hope this may help you... good luck

Yes, the fuel stabilizer designed for use with ethanol gas is a good idea. But a better idea is not to use ethanol gas. On the subject of Seafoam...that is another 50/50 discussion. You can google and read experiences from guys just like us who have ruined their outboards.
I had some problems with my 2-stroke last year and did a lot of research about how to fix it. I came accross Seafoam but saw a lot of neg reviews. So i was turned away from it and ended up fixing my problem the traditional way...carb and fuel stabilizer.
I think Seafoam is a product created to end up in the hands of the average guy at home to fix a problem, the easy quick solution that marketing sells. It was produced to make money. If you go into the majority, not all, but majority of small engine repair shops...they are not using it to fix engine problems. They rebuild carbs and advise to use stabilizers or use non-ethanol gas. IMO

MNHunter505 said:
Yes, the fuel stabilizer designed for use with ethanol gas is a good idea. But a better idea is not to use ethanol gas. On the subject of Seafoam...that is another 50/50 discussion. You can google and read experiences from guys just like us who have ruined their outboards.
I had some problems with my 2-stroke last year and did a lot of research about how to fix it. I came accross Seafoam but saw a lot of neg reviews. So i was turned away from it and ended up fixing my problem the traditional way...carb and fuel stabilizer.
I think Seafoam is a product created to end up in the hands of the average guy at home to fix a problem, the easy quick solution that marketing sells. It was produced to make money. If you go into the majority, not all, but majority of small engine repair shops...they are not using it to fix engine problems. They rebuild carbs and advise to use stabilizers or use non-ethanol gas. IMO
I'm pretty sure every product sold in walmarts or autoparts stores were produced to make money. :lol: And while I use seafoam as a fuel stabilizer and a fuel system cleaner (mild cleaning only, will not fix a clogged jet) with good results, if I ever heard of a repair shop that was using it to "fix" an engine problem, you can bet I'd never do buisness with them. You can't get a mechanic in a can regardless if it's Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Stabil, regardless of what the commercials say.

Run mine dry so the needle valve doesn't stick to the seat after sitting for extended periods. This drops the float down and pulls the valve with it.

There is an article on page 30 of the latest consumer reports titled - engines and ethanol:a dubious mix.

JMichael said:
MNHunter505 said:

You can't get a mechanic in a can regardless if it's Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Stabil, regardless of what the commercials say.

JMichael...well said.

So, where does one buy gas that dosnt have ethanol in it? I was under the impression that all gas has a percentage of ethanol these days.

Aviation gas (Avgas) has no ethanol in it; currently running about $6.15/gal in my area.

Latest posts