Shutting Off Outboard – Let Gas run out of carb YES or NO ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some marinas have ethanol free gas, but who knows how long the gas sits all summer (but its shelf life should be better, but the price is usually $1 more). The problem with ethanol may be compounded further with 2-stroke motors which have the oil mixed in with the gas. 4-stroke outboards and those new 2-strokes which have an oil reservoir like optimaxs & e-tecs don't have the problem of the ethanol mixing with the oil, but they still have to worry about the phase separation of the ethanol bonding with water.

BassBlaster said:
So, where does one buy gas that dosnt have ethanol in it? I was under the impression that all gas has a percentage of ethanol these days.

I just bought some ethanol free gas for my chainsaw. Came in a can at Lowes. But yea, marinas will have it. If not, I still believe using a stabilizer is just fine.

My previous job required me to run all brands of outboards. We used many dealers over the years for service and repairs and I have been told to run dry and not to run dry by the same shop on different visits by different mechanics...........depends on the mechanic and how he feels or maybe how good his coffee was that morning! I do know running dry is not always DRY. Some and leave small amounts in the bottom of the bowl. I would think this would be more prone to evaporate than larger amounts thus if it contained any contaminants ??????????

I've had good luck with my practice.

F25 Yamaha on a War Eagle 15' boat. Sits sometimes for 2 months during winter. I never disconnect the fuel line. I will go out to the boat about once a week and pump the primer bulb on the fuel line. Then just crank the engine. Usually not enough to start it but just enough to make fuel flow through the carb. Sometimes it does start, and that's fine. It'll run fine out of the water as long as it's only for a few seconds. Going on 2 years now and I've not had to clean the carb yet.

No my other F25 is a different story...have the carb apart on it every time I use it just about. BUT...I am also messing with Methanol for fuel. Not quite "right" yet but getting there. Lots more low end and mid range grunt. Top end has not changed much, but I still need to play with it more. Too rich from 5500-6200 RPM. Probably air bleeds; but winter's taken hold of us here and no time to go play with it.

Latest posts