Can anyone tell me about this boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trx88

Reaction score
I just got this guy wanted one for the 7ac lake behind our house- can anyone tell me about this boat? The metal is paper thin snd I can pick it up by myself but it seems pretty stout too. Can’t figure out if I should sell it or try to love it

Attachments

• IMG_9244.jpeg
    IMG_9244.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to Tinboats.
Can you post pictures that show the rear corner caps and knee brace? What size is it?
Where in Illinois are you?

Welcome to Tinboats.
Can you post pictures that show the rear corner caps and knee brace? What size is it?
Where in Illinois are you?
Troy IL- it’s 12ft, very thin and light. Needs some rivets and a transom board. I didn’t give too much for it. I have had Lowe’s polar krafts quachitas and duracraft sand gave them away to friends. Naturally when I need a jonboat I couldn’t find much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
That blue paint is a classic ouachita color .

Knee braces are a very good clue to figuring out who manufactured your boat.
Yeah that's an interesting knee brace setup on that boat. If that's factory it should certainly narrow down manufacturer personally never seen anything like it. The seating arrangement and gunnels and overall shape remind me of my 1976 polar kraft 1436.

That knee brace is 100% the same as a 1972 sears jon boat I had. Not much else matches though. Different model???
Only picture I have.

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 0
Aside from that the dang thing is paper thin, it’s .050 I’ll bet, is it safe?

I was thinking sears too but they had various manufacturers over the years, many were regional too.
Around here they're mostly made by either Alumacraft or Lowe back in the day, with the alumacraft models being very thin and light, often with a ton of pin holes. (Fixable with a coat of Gluvit).
What does the title or registration say?
Most states require you register a boat even if you don't run a motor.
In my state we need registration, and the old paperwork to transfer ownership and get a new reg.
On occasion I find an old reg. that says homemade, which used to fly here but not anymore.
Homemade is no longer done without jumping through hoops and a coast guard certificate of inspection.

I was thinking sears too but they had various manufacturers over the years, many were regional too.
Around here they're mostly made by either Alumacraft or Lowe back in the day, with the alumacraft models being very thin and light, often with a ton of pin holes. (Fixable with a coat of Gluvit).
What does the title or registration say?
Most states require you register a boat even if you don't run a motor.
In my state we need registration, and the old paperwork to transfer ownership and get a new reg.
On occasion I find an old reg. that says homemade, which used to fly here but not anymore.
Homemade is no longer done without jumping through hoops and a coast guard certificate of inspection.
This boat is just for me to take the kids out on the pond, I have an 1848 Lowe in the driveway I got this one pretty dang cheap I’d just never seen one so thin hulled.

How to jimmy w board in there or does that brace have to come out first

Attachments

• IMG_9285.jpeg
    IMG_9285.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
Would drill the rivets out of the corner caps and remove them and the top cap instead of drilling out the rivets holding the brace to the floor.

Would drill the rivets out of the corner caps and remove them and the top cap instead of drilling out the rivets holding the brace to the floor.
That’s an excellent tip, I really like that idea thank you. I’ve done a few transoms they usually come out ok but I don’t think I’d ever asked anyone- I was thinking two pieces of ply at 1/2 inch drop one in from the top and lay it to the knee then maneuver a second in there before sandwiching them and going that route but it may come down to being easier the other way. Has anyone ever had luck trying to fix cracked ribs ? This boat is o50” so it’s not gonna weld

Latest posts