simple and cheap bow mount trolling motor solution?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpijan

Reaction score
I have a 1448 tracker boat and an old transom mount trolling motor that is a real pain to use while fishing, You can't even let you're hand off it long enough to get more than one cast out without it starting to spin the boat in circles. It also is difficult to reach and it's not the typical twist handle type trolling motor that I could get an extension for either. I'm not sure if my boat's bow is big enough or strong enough to mount the typical foot controlled bow mounted trolling motors, the brackets look really big on those.

Do you think the boat gets really cluttered with two people and a foot controlled pedal installed in the front? I was thinking it'd be better to have a hand controlled bow mount motor but need to figure out how to mount it and if I should buy a new bow mount trolling motor with a handle or buy a used transom style and just reverse the motor direction if that is doable.

Tracker 1542 with MinnKota c40 on a simple mount I made. Aluminum angle sandwiched with wood for grip and bolted to the bow. There is also aluminum flat stock underneath running nearly the full lenght of the bow for more strength and rigidity since these boats are very thin metal.

Attachments

• bowmount.jpg
    bowmount.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 725
Yes the motor can be reversed. Most if not all hand controlled trolling motors have a bolt in the head that is easy to remove, them just swivel the head 180 degrees and reinstall the bolt. Then just build or buy a bracket and go fishing.

Rpijan,

Take a look at the second product in this link.

https://www.fishonfabrications.com/products.html

Shown is the 'small' unit. I do have a larger one available for the higher thrust motors (your particular motor's clamp size will dictate which version is needed), and should have the website updated to reflect that sometime this weekend.

Thanks,

Dawson