Skeg Fix on 60hp Merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
digi said:
alrighty buds, I got my river runner installed tonight. It's at a slight angle because I didn't want it too close to the prop. Will it create any significant drag? Or am I good to go? thanks

QWTE4Ynl.jpg

U2Uoz3al.jpg

kwy0m7pl.jpg
Looks good.
I wish I had mounted mine with just a little more clearance from the prop

Patriot - - - that is what I had in mind. All you need is something to
allow the foot to skip over rocks and logs. It's not rocket science.
If you are really concerned on the "hydrodynamics" of it, rough up the
mating surfaces, apply some aggressive adhesive, bolt it all together,
file and grind the leading edges down to make them smooth and pretty.
then, paint to match your motor.
good job !!!

Thanks for the replies buds! I'm going to run her tomorrow morning, I'll see how it goes.

Let us know b/c I'd really like to know how much speed one of these costs you. I'm really tempted to make one up for my motor as my skeg isn't much better than what you started with, certainly won't protect the prop from branches or other unseen floating debris on the river which are my main concern.

Took it out today, size "B" River Runner on my 60hp. It did drop my rpm from 5100 to 4900 and I went from 28mph to 26mph.

My prop is slipping on take off, I think I need to look at a cupped stainless prop for a tunnel hull or something? Once the boat is on plane the boat runs great, trim is right where it should be, kinda wished I had power trim.

Very happy overall, I fish some shallow areas, it's nice not having to worry as much. I'll definitely keep it on.

Hmm...might want to think about a prop switch to get the RPMs back up if you're out of the range.

I pulled the trigger on that SWC3 PowerTech prop with cupping, I dropped down to a 10 pitch. The cupping on the prop is supposed to be good for tunnel hulls and provide more grip, hopefully it will fix my slipping issue during take off and get my rpm's back in range. I'll report back in a couple weeks after I get it on and run it again.

This sweet buddy showed up in the mail (PowerTech SWC3, 10P w/ cupping) I also ordered a Skeggard, going to take off the Mac's River Runner and check the difference in RPM's.

0SEhD1Il.jpg

alrightyroo, got the new prop and skeggard on, I got a camping trip this weekend with the fam, gonna be a zoo out there. Hopefully I'll have time to run it soon...I am getting anxious!

3ZTmhsTl.jpg

Reporting back on my prop results. Very happy, GPS'd at 29.1 mph last weekend and got my rpm back into the 5k range. That's a 4 mph gain from my old prop and with the cupping, it no longer slips out the hole. The flat bottom on my tunnel hull will knock the fillings out your teeth but sure is fun. =)