Sketch Idea for Mounting Trolling Motor to the bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This applies to bow mounting a typical transom mount TM
See pics 3 and 12 of my photobucket, linked below.

One reason everyone wants to fabricate a bracket is that the gunnel and hull at the bow, unlike at the stern, are not vertical, they are not at approximate right angles to the water - they are sloped.

That said, there is usually some angle adjustment in the TM transom clamp assembly and usually the clamp screws of the TM will open wide enough to fit over the gunnel.

So, use a table saw to cut blocks of wood to the thickness that you want and glue them to the hull just below and flush with the gunnel. My TM has enough angle adjustment to cut the blocks without any angle at all - just parallel, but the table saw could be used of course to get any angle you want.

Now you can clamp the trolling motor directly to these blocks (one inside, one outside) that are directly bearing on the hull. The blocks are notched slightly so they lay flush to the hull and fit over the edge of the gunnel extrusion. I used hardwood and a thin coat of silicone seal; no way those blocks are coming off short of a pry bar yet I can "go back to stock" in 5 minutes.

Very nice XB...You are correct, everyone wants to put the TM as far forward as they can. Sometimes you've got to put it where you can use it. The very slight loss of efficiency affects almost nothing the way we use our boats. Well done! Rich

Hey guys, I found this on the AK McCallum Co website. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it work? The description on the website says the following:

Trolling Motor Mount
Custom Design & manufactured for A.K. This mount makes it possible to mount a transom mount motor on the bow or gunnel of most jon boats. It also makes mounting flounder lights easy. Made of marine starboard with stainless steel fasteners. Has rubber strips that fit inside clamp to fit almost any gunnel.

Attachments

• tmount.jpg
    tmount.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 824
xbacksideslider said:
This applies to bow mounting a typical transom mount TM
See pics 3 and 12 of my photobucket, linked below.

One reason everyone wants to fabricate a bracket is that the gunnel and hull at the bow, unlike at the stern, are not vertical, they are not at approximate right angles to the water - they are sloped.

That said, there is usually some angle adjustment in the TM transom clamp assembly and usually the clamp screws of the TM will open wide enough to fit over the gunnel.

So, use a table saw to cut blocks of wood to the thickness that you want and glue them to the hull just below and flush with the gunnel. My TM has enough angle adjustment to cut the blocks without any angle at all - just parallel, but the table saw could be used of course to get any angle you want.

Now you can clamp the trolling motor directly to these blocks (one inside, one outside) that are directly bearing on the hull. The blocks are notched slightly so they lay flush to the hull and fit over the edge of the gunnel extrusion. I used hardwood and a thin coat of silicone seal; no way those blocks are coming off short of a pry bar yet I can "go back to stock" in 5 minutes.

Very nice! =D> I think your idea will be best for me because I can put it in reach of the front bench.

Consider the pros and cons of brackets that mount the trolling motor above the top of the boat vs. a bracket that allows the trolling motor to mount at the top of the gunnels like it does on the transom. The higher the bracket, the futher to the water for the prop.
Until I burnt my old motor up by not having a circuit breaker, its 30" shaft barely put the prop below the water line because of the raised bow on my modified V hull. Any wave action would cause the prop to come up out of the water. My new motor has a 36” shaft and does not have that problem. The 30” shaft was usable but the 36” shaft gives me more options.
I recommend the Minn Kota 34# transom motor with the 36" shaft from Cabela’s for $119. It is a good buy for the money.
Also a bow mounted trolling motor needs an outboard or a rudder in the water at the transom to make the boat track true with a trolling motor on the bow. Without something in the water at the transom, the boat will crab walk sideways. I have a clamp on rudder for the days I want to leave my outboard at home.
I also loosely tie my trolling motor to a cleat on the bow, ever since a friend broke his factory mounting braket and wound up hanging on to the trolling motor with one hand while he tried to turn it off with the other hand.

If you are "crabbing" then it might be that your shaft is not long enough to place the horizontal line of the prop's thrust below the keel; that is, the thrust is confined to one side of the boat.

Latest posts