Skunked at the lake!! Bad day

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky.jonboatfisher

Reaction score
Man was it a bad day at the local fishing lake (cedar Creek). We fished all day got a couple of small bites but nothing held on. I'm not a big fan of cold weather and water fishing. I'm not useually successful on cold days. Oh well theres always spring to look forward to. ANd let me tell i am definately looking foward to spring of 2009. #-o #-o

yeah russ010 i even tried that i threw jigs worms crankbaits spinnerbaits buzzbaits topwater i mean name it i fished it. And ideas?

I feel your pain man. I skunked Saturday. I dont know which is worse 95+ degree weather, or 40 and under. The pond i went to had ice on it in some places, but the weekend before that i caught about 15 NICE Bass and it was only about 5 degrees warmer...

ky.jonboatfisher said:
yeah russ010 i even tried that i threw jigs worms crankbaits spinnerbaits buzzbaits topwater i mean name it i fished it. And ideas?

Get some jigs with rattles and stick with them all day. Like Russ said a pork or plastic crawfish looking trailer and maybe some scent

The trick when the water is below 50* (here it is below 40* ouch!) is to fish these slower then slow. I do use a lot of shakes but keep the bait in one place. Let is sit, keep your line tight, and keep twitching it. I also find that the bass stack up on a point or near cover in slightly deeper water once you find or sense a bass just stay there and keep working that area - not uncommon to pull 10 bass out of the same spot in the cold water

I just read somewhere online that it's best to use pork trailers in cold water, then plastic trailers in the summer.. not sure what truth that holds to it, but I've been using plastic in 45degree water and I've pulled out 3 in 3 outings... This past sunday I was throwing into the wind and letting the jig sink to the bottom, then letting the wind push me about 30 yards and do it all over again.. I couldn't keep the boat still and I wasn't about to set anchor - the wind was too hard for my little 16lb anchor to hold anyways.

A suspending jerkbait is all I can think of if the jigs aren't working. I might throw topwater this weekend. The highs all week are in the high 70's and low 80's

I agree on a jig and a suspending jerkbait. Both worked extremely slow. Let the jerkbait pause for atleast a minute, still jerk it erractically but be sure to pause it for a long time. They say to use pork in the winter because it has more action than plastic in cold water, but I had been doing fine with plastic. The pork is also more buoyant than plastic and allows the jig to fall slower. I also think a scent is more important in cold water. Keep at it, you will find them sooner or later.

Latest posts